Pregnancy is a period of mixed emotions. With the happiness, celebrations, and excitement, comes many physical and bodily changes that take a toll on a person's physical, mental as well as emotional health. From morning sickness to hormonal changes, constipation, heartburn or weight gain - you face a lot of challenges and discomfort. Without proper rest, the situation will only go from bad to worse. Sometimes, doctors recommend bed rest during pregnancy.
Bed Rest during Pregnancy
As already stated, pregnancy is not always a bed of roses. Women face considerable discomfort and a number of health problems during this period. Some health problems that often require a woman to take bed rest during pregnancy include:
- Preeclampsia or High Blood Pressure: Many pregnant women (even those with normal blood pressure before pregnancy) are found to suffer from a condition termed Preeclampsia. Preeclampsia is a medical condition characterized by a rise in the blood pressure during pregnancy. Without timely medical assistance, preeclampsia (known to affect women mostly after the 20th week of pregnancy) can trigger severe complications including a miscarriage, premature labor or birth defects. In addition to the medicines and treatment, doctors also recommend bed rest to deal with the situation better.
- Vaginal Bleeding: Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy could be an outcome of a host of reasons, the most common of which include:
a) The placenta separating from the uterus earlier than expected (Abruptio Placentae/ Placental Abruption).
b) The placenta lying quite low in the uterus covering the cervix (Placenta Previa).
Bed rest becomes vital as vaginal bleeding can trigger complications affecting the maternal as well as the fetal health.
- Also, bed rest becomes essential for pregnant women carrying more than one baby (Multiple Pregnancy) or those with a risk of premature labor.
- Bed rest during pregnancy is also crucial under some medical conditions such as Anemia, Cervical Insufficiency/Incompetent Cervix (a weak cervix that may result in a premature labor).
- Women who have had complications during previous pregnancies (such as premature labor and miscarriage to name a few) are also required to take bed rest as much as possible.
How to make the most of the bed rest during pregnancy?
There can be nothing more boring and monotonous than having to spend around 10-12 hours (can be more or less as per the doctor's recommendations) in bed everyday, doing nothing. While bed rest is essential for the mother and the baby, you can also indulge in some productive activities to keep boredom at bay.
- Books to the rescue: If you are a Bibliophile, then the bed rest is nothing short of a blessing in disguise for you. Load yourself with some interesting books, novels, scriptures, magazines and utilize the time to the fullest.
- If you are also into writing, then you cannot get a better opportunity to hone your skills. Pen down your feelings, creative imaginations, ideas, poems, or whatever comes to your mind.
- Online activities: These days social networks are so full of activities that you will never have time to get bored. You can indulge in some fun online activities, join online maternal or would-be-mom groups - interacting with other expectant mothers. Yet, take care not to spend the entire day online.
- Make a call: If the personal and professional life has turned you into a social recluse, then now is the time. Use the opportunity to connect with friends and dear ones. These interactions will also serve as a stress-buster - leaving you happy and cheerful.
You can also utilize this period by spending some quality time with your older child, husband, and the other family members!
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.