Spitting up, also called reflux, is when you feed your baby formula or breastmilk and they end up throwing most of it back out on you or whatever’s around you. One thing you should know is that this is completely normal in healthy babies, and mostly stops when your baby reaches their first birthday. You can make out the difference between spitting up and vomiting because vomiting is more harsh and volatile while spitting up seems like a natural process.
Why does spitting up happen in the first place?
Usually, it’s because their digestive system is as young as them, and needs some time to develop. The muscles at the bottom of the oesophagus that controls the movement of food are still quite new.
Sometimes, your baby might accidentally swallow some air along with the food or milk. When the air comes back out, so does everything you just fed them.
What can you do about it?
- For starters, you can ensure your baby is sitting upright while you’re feeding them. Slouching or hunching while feeding could cause them to spit up.
- Let them burp between spoons. Take a few seconds off before your next spoon or sip and try and get them to burp during this break. That way the air inside them comes out and doesn’t bring the food along with it.
- Ensure the hole of the sipping bottle isn’t too big or too small. It could allow a lot of air to enter along with the food, which should be avoided.
- Try feeding your baby in a peaceful environment. If they’re agitated, it could cause them to get fidgety and swallow a lot of air along with food.
- Dress your little one up in something that’s not too tight on the tummy and avoid a lot of motion. Don’t take them out of car rides just after feeding them and don’t carry them or move them around too much. Leave them in one place to digest their food.
- Figure out a pattern and don’t overfeed them. Observe when their appetite dies down and serve them only so much.
- Force feeding them could lead to a lot of spitting up and even vomiting.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.