Babies are gentle beings. They have soft and sensitive skins and are more susceptible to skin irritations, rashes and dry skin. They are also vulnerable to lose heat and moisture quite rapidly compared to adults when exposed to dry, warm or cool air. To protect the delicate skin of your delicate darlings, using safe and effective natural skin moisturizers would be a bolster. Coconut oil is one of such natural skin moisturizers. It is one of the wonders of the nature with so many benefits.
Here is a list of compelling reasons about why you should use coconut oil for your baby’s skin.
Coconut oil (Also called copra oil) is an edible oil extracted from the kernel of coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. It could be used for various purposes such as cooking, hair and skin moisturizer.
Coconut oil has a high amount of saturated fats, particularly of medium chain varieties. The resistance to rancidification of coconut oil is due to these saturated fatty acids which are slow to oxidize. They also have antimicrobial properties that help protect skin from infections. If applied externally, the saturated fatty acids of the coconut oil cling to the skin and prevent the moisture from escaping. Coconut oil also has vitamin E and a variety of proteins that could be beneficial to your body.
Why Coconut Oil Is Good For Your Baby’s Skin:
1. No matter how healthy your baby’s skin is, coconut oil is definitely an additive that could keep the skin moisturized. It is a great natural moisturizer! And what more? It is free of fragrance, unlike the moisturizing lotions we use.
2. When you are stepping out of your home, your baby’s sensitive skin obviously needs to be protected. Instead of using man-made sunscreen, use natural coconut oil. That doubles as moisturizer and sunscreen.
3. If your baby ever has cuts or bruises, coconut oil could be of help in time. The antibacterial property of the coconut oil and its capacity to rejuvenate the skin cells helps in the healing process of cuts.
4. It is pretty normal for your baby to have diaper rash. But coconut oil saves your baby from that itching and pain. It moisturizes effectively and prevents bacterial growth that could irritate the soft and sensitive skin of your baby.
5. Application of coconut oil on the insect bites could reduce the itching, swelling and the inflammation caused by bites.
6. The Medium-chain fatty acids/triglycerides (MCTs) (such as capric, caprylic and lauric fatty acids) of coconut oil are antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal in nature. They also inactivate enveloped viruses. Lauric acid with such properties is first found in breast milk for babies. The human body processes it into monolaurin. The other natural source of lauric acid is coconut oil. Fortunately, the wonderful MCTs retain their properties even after the coconut oil is refined.
7. Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL) is a condition where the water is lost from inside the body, through the epidermal layer of skin, to the surrounding atmosphere via diffusion and evaporation processes. It is a matter of concern, especially with the prematurely born babies. The application of Coconut oil on the skin helps reduce such water loss.
8. Baby acne is a common skin condition characterized by red bumps or pimples. Coconut oil helps in keeping baby acne in check. In fact, it helps with acne in general. The reason behind this could be the antibacterial properties of lauric acid which is present in the coconut oil.
9. Cradle cap is a skin rash on the scalp of newborn babies. It is yellowish, patchy, greasy, scaly and crusty. It is a common fungal condition that could be encountered with the help of coconut oil. The antimicrobial and antifungal properties of the coconut oil help in controlling the skin rash.
10. Coconut oil moisturises the skin. It helps even in treating an extreme skin condition called eczema.
Mommies! Here's some good news for you all!
Tinystep has launched an all-natural floor cleaner that's safe for you, your baby, and your home. Say NO to both germs and chemicals today!
Give this product a try and let us know if you like it. You can order it here.