Which Core Personality Can You Identify In Your Child
Personality is something that determines the way we perceive and interact with the world. This concept of personality comes to us with birth, which is why some kids might always be cranky and moody, whereas others seem to always be a ball of sunshine. Here are some things you probably didn’t know about your kid and their personality.
It has been believed by many psychologists that 5 core personalities exist, and that everyone has variations of these core personalities. From a young age children fall into one or more of these personalities.
1. Extraversion is the energy, positive emotions, surgency, assertiveness, sociability and the tendency to seek stimulation in the company of others. It also includes being talkative.
2. Agreeableness is the trait where the person is said to be compassionate and cooperative towards others. It also shows one's trusting and helpful nature, and whether a person is generally well-tempered or not.
3. Conscientiousness is the tendency to be organized and dependable. This trait shows self-discipline, aim for achievement and preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior.
4. Neuroticism is the tendency to experience unpleasant emotions easily, such as anger, anxiety, depression, and vulnerability.
5. Openness (to experience) shows an appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, curiosity, and variety of experience. It is also seen as the extent to which a person is imaginative and independent, and it portrays the person as someone who would prefer a variety of activities over a strict routine.
1. Your child’s personality undergoes change over time
It is said that when your child is very young, they tend to depict very different personality traits than what they will depict in the future. Like, if you have a very quiet and introverted child, chances are that when they grow up, they will become outgoing. This can be because of life events, environmental factors, or because of change in beliefs and attitudes.
2. Genetics has an impact on your child’s personality
There is not much research done in this aspect, but doctors agree that genetics plays a role in your child’s personality. It has been observed that siblings either have stark personality differences or they are extremely similar. It is theorised that because of model learning, kids tend to behave the same way their parents do and this has been confused as a genetic connection. However, what has been confirmed is that parents do influence the personality of their kids, one way or the other.
3. Gender differences in personality
Each gender has certain personality traits that are innate to them. Since the birth of your child, he/she will depict the personality traits of their gender. These personality traits have been evolving from our ancestral times, when men were just hunters and gatherers. Girls, from ancient times, have had more cautious, patient and caring personalities, whereas boys developed a less emotional frame of mind. Girls have stronger verbal skills and boys have better spatial abilities.
4. Influence of Birth Order in Your Child’s Personality
The birth order along with the style of parenting greatly influences personality. First-borns tend to be reliable, controlling and tend to be achievers. They bask in their parents' presence, which explains why they sometimes act like mini-adults. Firstborns are diligent and want to be the best at everything they do. Middle children or second-borns tend to be people pleasers, they are also most likely to be rebellious and they thrive on friendships. Last born kids are fun loving, outgoing and may be self-centered. An only child tends to hold a special position in their family, and as they have no siblings to compete with, they monetize their parents attention. They tend to be diligent and rather mature for their age.