Birth is an exciting phase for families, but for the 1 in 8 women who deliver prematurely, it is quite a scary experience. It is difficult to let go or lose something you have nurtured for months together within you. Caring for a premature baby requires a tremendous amount of attention, as the child is way more delicate than the other babies.
You might have to call in a doctor quite often, as your baby’s immunity isn’t so well developed as compared to the other babies. Your baby is more likely to catch a cold, run a temperature and even have tummy problems.
For mothers with premature babies, it is extremely important that you call your doctor if you notice the following things.
1. If your baby is unable to breathe normally. This could be due to respiratory congestion than blocks the nasal cavity, therefore making it difficult to breathe. Any minor change in the breathing pattern of your baby should be reported to a doctor.
2. If you see a bluish tint around the fingernails, fingers, nose and lips.
3. If your baby’s physical appearance is pale.
4. If you notice that your baby is refusing to eat food,including your breast milk.
5. If you find your baby less active throughout the day. For example, if he/her has been cranky and irritated for longer durations, it is a reason for concern.
6. You need to be alarmed in situations when you see blood in the vomit or stools.
7. If your baby has been passing watery stools for days together and if each day, it requires you to change 8-9 diapers. In this case, your child is probably unwell.
8. If you observe your baby hasn’t eased himself/herself in the diaper, your baby is probably dehydrated.
9. If you notice your baby has fits/ seizures.
10. If you see fluids draining out of your child’s ears, pus developing in the navel or the penis. Here, it is possible, your baby might have developed an infection.
In any of the above situations, do not panic. Just visit the doctor or call the doctor home immediately.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.