Parenting is a set of values and beliefs by which you wish to raise the kid. The parenting pattern adopted by the parents decide the ultimate psychological and behaviour pattern of the child. The styles have their own pros and cons and none is considered as a perfect style of raising a little human. Therefore, depending on how you approach the social development of your child, parenting styles include the following:
1. Authoritarian style:
This approach follows the ancient adage “Spare the rod and spoil the child” by providing tough love. Both parents communicate their expectations and behaviour pattern. If the child deviates from the pattern: negative motivation is used. On an extremely high disciplinarian moral ground, this style is a reminisce of the type of parents our grandparents had. This approach is all too practical and raises kids with fear. Many children exhibit dysfunctional social interactions in later stages.
- Suitable for the little ones who need to learn the basics of good behaviour.
- Raises submissive children with effective team spirit.
- The approach is top to bottom and children attempt to break off the boundaries.
- Children rarely trust parents and remain in fear of the worst.
- Punishment is the common outcome of managing deviation. So either you will have a defiant elf or an obedient angel as a result.
2. Authoritative style:
An authoritative parent is slightly less harsh than the previous style. The approach can be considered equivalent to Democratic leadership with the focus on building a healthy mind. Such parents establish the boundaries of Independence and justify the particular rule. Children learn to appreciate the nutritive style.
- An open approach to parenting.
- Achievable and justified response to the action. Children learn the importance of a particular course of action.
- Despite being on a lenient note than authoritarian style, this style involves having a parent who keeps eagle's watch on the kids.
- Children display a clear sense of lack of leadership and believe that only temper tantrums are the solution to any problem.
3. Permissive style:
This self-management style of parenting is known as consultative style as well. Instead of a unilateral decision, encouragement on consultation and participation is done. With a core focus on openness, the children are encouraged to undertake responsible actions. Expectations are of achievable limit.
- Children remain highly motivated and feel high self-worth.
- The children understand and implement the consensus.
- Increases morale and creativity.
- The style depends heavily on the child’s ability to handle the freedom. In some cases, this style may yield unfavourable results.
The free-rein style of an uninvolved parent gives the ultimate control to the kid for his actions. Once the expectations of the parent are communicated to the child, little control over actions and outcomes is present. This style is reminiscent of a busy parent with limited time to devote to his kids. The parent tries to be the happy friend in mischief. The children learn to manage themselves by hit and trial method. Although being an utterly inefficient approach to parenting and training, this style leads to more creative citizens.
- The child learns from actually experimenting with the situation.
- Encourages creativity and self-learning
- Despite its advantages, the style remains the least favourite approach to parenting.
- Lack of paternal involvement leads to weaker bonds.
Which style is effective?
No style of parenting is perfect. It is up to your individual discretion how you wish to raise the kids. However, more than one style can be combined with the utilisation of situational approach.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!