Vaginal Birth After C-Section: Everything You Need To Know
If you’re a mom-to-be for the second time and you’re confused about the birthing mode you want to go for this time, this article may help you get a better perspective on it. Now, did you go for a C-section with your firstborn and are you thinking of going for a vaginal birth this time? In case you are, there are certain things you must be aware of before going ahead with the decision and we are here today to help you make one.
What is VBAC or TOLAC?
VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) or TOLAC (trial of labour after caesarean) is, as the name suggests, an attempt for natural birth if you opted for a C-section the first time. Now, there are multiple reasons for a mom to choose a C-section and some of these might actually pose a problem in your choice for vaginal birth.
Reasons for your first C-section
1. Placenta previa (your placenta lying unusually lower in your uterus, causing chances of excessive uterine bleeding during delivery)
2. C-section during your first delivery
3. You’re a smoker
4. You have a heavy weight body
5. You’re diabetic
In case you opt for VBAC
You must keep in mind the following things while considering VBAC.
1. If your first delivery was a C-section due to dystocia, which means difficulty in labour because the size of the baby was bigger than the size of your pelvis, you do not make a successful candidate for VBAC. This difficulty can also arise due to slow cervical dilation.
2. You also can’t go for VBAC if you faced a uterine rupture during your first C-section
3. There is always a risk in VBAC if you’re 35 years old or above.
4. If you have had a cesarean with a low-transverse incision, the risk of uterine rupture in a vaginal delivery is 0.2 to 1.5%, which is approximately 1 chance in 500.
5. You can’t go for a VBAC in case you’ve had more than one C-sections in the past. Your risk here is directly proportional to the number.
Please note that VBAC, or TOLAC, has been taken up by many women the second or third time and it has been a positive experience in many cases. Though it’s still risky and hence, we suggest that if you really want to experience vaginal birth after your first pregnancy, consult your gynaecologist and have all the information in advance.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!