There are certain days when plain old lunch doesn't do it for you and you start to crave something just a couple of hours later. On days like this, oatmeal will come really in handy. Check out this recipe to make savoury oatmeal.
- ¾ cup of water
- ¼ cup of dry quick-cooking steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp of shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- ¼ cup of diced red pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped onions
- Salt & Pepper
1. Bring the water to boil and then add oatmeal. Reduce the heat a little and let it cook until all liquid is absorbed, for about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese, and a small pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat with ½ tsp of coconut oil. Add the vegetables and cook until they soften, for 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the vegetables over the cooked oats and reduce the heat to medium.
3. Fry the egg using the remaining ½ tsp of oil. Cook until the whites remain translucent no longer. Serve over oatmeal.
4. If desired, top with green onion, chopped walnuts, etc.