Eating a balanced diet is imperative for every human being. Magnesium is an integral part of a good diet. The magnesium benefits are many, it functions individually as well as helps in the absorption of other nutrients like iron and calcium, thereby making it all the more significant to include magnesium rich foods in our daily diet. In this article, we will read about some easy foods which are great sources of magnesium and can help us avoid the magnesium deficiency symptoms.
Table Of Contents:
What Are The Benefits Of Magnesium?
Including foods high in magnesium in our everyday diets is quite essential for us. Magnesium plays an important role in bone formation and maintaining good bone health. The major benefit of magnesium is that it facilitates the absorption of calcium and many other minerals in our body. It has been well established that it is not just calcium that the body needs for the strengthening of bones, but also magnesium. The health benefits of magnesium can also be seen in chest pain, irregular heartbeat, migraine, anxiety, premenstrual syndrome, high blood pressure etc.
How Much Magnesium Do You Need?
According to a report by National Institute Of Health, the recommended daily intake of Magnesium varies depending upon age, gender as well as the condition of the person's health.
What Are The Effects Of Magnesium Deficiency On Our Body?
The deficiency of magnesium is called hypomagnesemia. Most of the time Magnesium deficiency is overlooked or goes undiagnosed as the symptoms are very similar to other problems. Some magnesium deficiency symptoms do not appear until the magnesium levels drop very low. Watch out for the following symptoms of Magnesium deficiency:
‣ Muscle Cramps
‣ Apathy, mental numbness, anxiety
‣ Feeling tired and week
‣ Irregular heartbeat
‣ High Blood Pressure
15 Magnesium Rich Foods You Must Have:
We now know that eating magnesium rich foods very important for us. The benefits of magnesium are many and it should be a part of regular diet. There are many foods with magnesium. Given below is a list of foods which are excellent sources of magnesium. Remember only a regular intake will keep away the magnesium deficiency symptoms.
1. Nuts: Nuts like almonds, cashews or Brazil nuts are a little high on calories but nothing can beat their goodness when it comes to the minerals and vitamins that they provide to us. These are super foods containing magnesium. Eat them raw or roasted. Don’t o overboard, have a few everyday.
2. Cherries: Cherries are magnesium rich fruits. Out of its many benefits magnesium helps people suffering from cramps, joint pain and arthritis. A 100 gm serving, contains about 14 mg of magnesium. Thus cherries are an excellent source of magnesium.
3. Broccoli: This green veggie is known for its nutrients. Add it to your soups, salads, pizzas and Chinese food and this can further add so many magnesium benefits to your food.
4. Flax Seeds: Flax seeds are filled with nutrients, they are also a source of magnesium. Adding them to your regular dishes can make them foods high in magnesium. A regular intake can control your cholesterol as well as maintain your blood pressure.
5. Sesame Seeds: A handful of sesame seeds can do wonders to you. They are a source of magnesium and are also rich in zinc, iron and Vitamin B6.
6. Avocado: A rich source of magnesium, avocados are filled with goodness. It is also rich in other vitamins and minerals and must be included in your diet regularly. Eat them raw, add them to your salads or cook them.
7. Banana: The humble banana is a magnesium rich fruit. It can the most easily available and also the best way to keep magnesium deficiency at bay. Banana is not just a magnesium rich food but also contains many other nutrients.
8. Spinach: Thanks to Popeye we all know that spinach is great for us. This power-packed green veggie is one of the foods containing magnesium in high quantity. In a serving size of 30 grams contains about 23 mg of magnesium.
9. Beetroot: You will find about 31 mg of magnesium in a serving of 130 grams of beetroot, which makes it a good example of food containing magnesium. It can also help in keeping type 2 diabetes and hypertension in control.
10. Capsicum: Known to be very beneficial in boosting one’s immunity, capsicum contains capsaicin that helps the body’s metabolism as well. All bell peppers red, yellow and especially green are sources of magnesium.
11. Oats: When you eat about 156 grams of oats there is about 276 mg of magnesium that is received by your body. Thereby making it a magnesium rich food. Considered to be an excellent breakfast, oats also provide us with fibre and antioxidants.
12. Kidney Beans: The magnesium benefits are far too many. Kidney beans contain folate that is necessary for the body to produce red blood cells. They are a food with magnesium, that helps take care of diabetes, cancer and cardinal issues.
13. Yellow Corn: A 150 gram of corn serving size contains about 200 mg of magnesium which makes this tasty snack a great source of magnesium. Roast them or boil them, add them to your salad or use as a snack topping, this magnesium rich food tastes good in every form.
14. Cocoa: Chocolates are good, do we need to add anything more? But it is a fact an 80 gram serving size of cocoa contains about 400 mg of magnesium, making cocoa a magnesium rich food.
15. Whole Milk: We do know that milk is rich in calcium, but it is one of the major functions of magnesium to help our body absorb the calcium. Have a glass of milk everyday and keep osteoporosis at bay.
So, we now know how easy it is to maintain a regular intake of magnesium. The benefits of magnesium are many. An average adult needs around 300 mg of magnesium everyday to stay away from the magnesium deficiency symptoms. Let us have a detailed look on how much magnesium do we need at various stages of our life.
It is therefore imperative to include the above mentioned magnesium-rich foods in your diet.