Dimpled skin, nobody likes that. A lumpy and loose skin is not only disappointing to look at, but also risky for your health. The condition is called Cellulite and due to its texture, it is also known as orange-peel skin or hail damage and there are home remedies as well as various exercises to treat it.
Table Of Contents
Cellulite: What Is It?
Cellulite is a condition where the skin turns lumpy and forms dimples. The regions that are mainly affected in a person are thighs and butt. This is caused due to the deposit of extra unnecessary fat which is then pushed through a connected tissue under the skin. Cellulite is so common that around 80-90% women suffer from it as there is an uneven distribution of fat, muscle and connectivity tissue. Depending upon the severity of cellulite, there are three types under which it can be categorized –
Mild – The appearance is like an orange peel with a slightly sagging look of the skin.
Moderate – With a cottage cheese look, the skin is averagely draped.
Severe – A mattress type appearance, the skin is highly sagging.
Causes Of Cellulite
1. The reason for cellulite is not concretely known but according to the dermatologists, it may be due to the interaction between the connectivity tissue with the layer of fat lying just underneath it. The reason why it is more of a common phenomenon amongst females is due to the fact that their fat cells and connectivity tissues are arranged in a vertical manner while in males, it is in criss-cross form.
2. Hormones play a crucial role in the development of cellulite. The production process of cellulite comprises of Estrogen, Insulin, Noradrenaline, Thyroid Hormones, and Prolactin. It is also said that while women are approaching menopause, the estrogen in women decreases due to which the blood flow to the connectivity tissues also diminishes. Estrogen level also decreases when there is a low circulation of oxygen which leads to lower collagen production. The combination of all these elements leads to much clearer deposition of fat giving a lumpy or dimply effect to the outside of the individual.
3. Genetics also prove to be one of the reasons for cellulite to occur in an individual. The speed of metabolism, distribution of fat under the skin, circulatory level and, ethnicity are the factors of genes which affect the development of cellulite.
4. Lifestyle and the kind of diet consumed by a person also make up for one of the factors of cellulite. Cellulite doesn’t occur due to the presence of toxins in the body but if an individual chooses a healthy lifestyle, the chances may decrease. Those who intake a large amount of fat, carbohydrates and salt are more likely to suffer from cellulite. Also, those who smoke on a regular basis, do not exercise and sit in one position for too long are also prone to it.
Signs and Symptoms
It is located mostly in the hips, abdomen or thighs but can come to appear in breasts, upper arms or belly. With mild cellulite, it may not be clearly visible unless the skin is pinched. It is so easy to locate that there are no specific signs or symptoms required to be located to confirm that the person has cellulite. Since it is a cosmetic problem, a dermatologist or a cosmetic surgeon can confirm it within a few seconds.
Cure Or Remedies Of Cellulite
Cellulite gives a pretty bad appearance to the skin and people prefer having their skin as smooth as it possibly can be. Hence, they always are in search of effective ways to get rid of it as soon as possible. If not vanish completely, at least it is important to know how to reduce cellulite on thighs and other possible areas.
How To Get Rid Of Cellulite?
Cellulite treatment comes in a variety of ways suiting the convenience of an individual. There are options of –
1. Acoustic Wave Therapy
In this, a hand-held device is used to transmit the sound waves. It is a slow process though and may take up a lot of sessions.
2. Laser Treatment
It is effective for a year or so as the cellulite appearance may reduce. A small laser probe is inserted under the skin to treat the connectivity tissues.
Treatment Of Cellulite At Home
How to get rid of cellulite at home? And is it even possible? Yes, it is. There are a lot of home remedies through which cellulite can be cured naturally.
1. Dry skin brushing
It should always be started from the feet while reaching the legs and then reach the arm towards the chest. The process should be done in a circular motion. On the stomach, it should be done in an anti-clockwise motion.
2. Gelatin intake
Consuming gelatin leads to tightening of the loose skin and improve the cellulite situation.
According to theory, cellulite is formed in a way of superficial fascia that is the layer of connectivity tissues consisting of fat cells. A massage named as myofascial massage which soothes the muscles.
4. Coffee scrub
The exfoliating features of a coffee scrub help reduce cellulite and tighten the skin naturally.
5. Omega 3s
Pills which are rich in nutrients help reduce cellulite with the passage of time. Wrong pills can lead to an adverse effect on the health.
6. Detoxifying showers
Not only relaxing, but detox baths also work as an aid in tightening the muscles.
7. Moisturise the skin
Made out of natural ingredients, a smooth moisturizer helps relax the muscles and diminish the cellulite.
8. Regaining hormonal imbalance
Hormonal changes are one of the main causes of cellulite taking place in the body. By balancing hormones, cellulite will reduce and the loose muscles regain strength.
9. Higher water intake
Water is a bliss. It helps in fighting against a lot of diseases and one of them is cellulite. It removes those toxins that lead to fat accumulation.
Cellulite is more visible in a fairer skin. A way to hide it is tan yourself. Exfoliating the skin before tanning helps in ensuring that the application is even.
[Also read: 5 Ways To Get Rid Of Cellulite Post Pregnancy]
Exercises For Cellulite
Apart from home remedies, there are some specific muscle toning exercises which help tighten the dimply and lumpy skin. Here are a few exercises which should be performed in order to get rid of cellulite effectively.
‣ Jump Squats
‣ Leg Kickbacks
‣ Sides to sides
[Read more: 3 Exercises to Make Your Cellulite Disappear]
Remember, the effects of any treatment or remedy are not permanent. For a highly effective result, you need to keep repeating these activities and follow them religiously.