Marriage also called matrimony or wedlock is a socially or ritually organised union between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between those spouses, as well as between them and any resulting biological or adopted children and affinity (in-laws and other families through marriage).
Table Of Contents
What Is Marriage
Marriage is a union between individual people. It is like a contract. Sometimes people also call this matrimony. The fact of being married is called wedlock. Very often, people celebrate that they are getting married. The ceremony is usually called wedding. In most of the world this is a union between man and women. A civil marriage is secular and is performed by a government official. A religious marriage is performed by clergy. The most common form of marriage is a legally binding heterosexual union. There are many reasons why people marry, but they actually include one or more of the given below:
‣ They want to have a family that us legally recognised.
‣ They want to have children and be able to pass on property or money to their children with fewer problems.
‣ They want to officially declare their love for the other.
‣ They want to get a certain citizenship of a state or country.
Facts About Marriage
Psychological and social research indicates there is a significant pattern in how people choose their partners. The matching hypothesis, a social psychological theorem suggests that people are more likely to form and succeed in a relationship with someone who is equally desirable. This doesn't have to be physical, other socially desirable qualities such as intelligence and personality also count.
For some marriage is what a particular date in the calendar means to them receiving flowers and perhaps going out for dinner. Let's take a look at some interesting facts about marriage:
‣ Research suggests that couples who are too similar to each other are less likely to last. While a foundation of similarities can help, there should also be things which couples can learn from each other.
‣ Litigious Americans need to be extra cautious before popping the question or accepting, as they can be sued for breaking of an engagement in nearly half of U.S. states.
‣ Wake Forest University psychologists claim that marriage does more to promote life satisfaction than money, sex or even having children.
‣ Spouses name “trust”, over friendship, laughter, forgiveness and sex as the most essential element of a happy marriage.
‣ A study found that the couples who spend more money on their wedding are more likely to divorce.
‣ Researchers found a huge decline in happiness after the first four years of marriage, followed by another decline in years seven to eight.
‣ Half of all the divorces occur in the first seven years of marriage, hence the term seven-year itch.
‣ The longest recorded marriage lasted 90 years and 291 days.
An impressive 75-year-long study, conducted by a group of Harvard researchers has shown that love is all that really matters. The participants' lifelong experiences revealed that happiness and life fulfilment revolved around love or simply searching for love.
Life After Marriage
Marriage a legally and socially sanctioned union, usually between a man and women that is regulated by rules, laws, customs, traditions, beliefs and attitude that prescribe the rights and duties of the partners and accords status to their offspring if any. Given below are some essential tips which would help the couples have a good and happy life after marriage.
Even if the newly wed couple might feel that they have always communicated well but still they need to keep working on it because communication is a key for the happy life after marriage. There will always be unexpected changes and challenges in life and both the husband and the wife need to be able to work through them together.
Always Say Please And Thank You
Sometimes it's easy to think that our spouse should anticipate our needs or does not need to be acknowledged. But that's not the case if any such situation comes up both the husband and the wife should be more aware of making sure that either of them gets asked kindly for things and thanked afterwards.
Talk About Career Plans
Some of the newly wed couples might work at the same company all our lives, working up the ladder. Most of us, however, will work for a variety of organization's in many different jobs. Discuss with your spouse how he or she sees their working life.
Maintain A Good Relationship With In-Laws
Since they are your spouse's parents you are going to be sharing holidays and important moments with them. Many times the in-laws may be very different and at times it is difficult to see eye to eye. But it is important to have the best relationship, a person can with the father and mother in law.
History Of Marriage
The term “marriage” comes from the Middle English word ’mariage’ which appeared around 1250 to 1300. Wife is likely to come from the Indo European route ‘gheibh’ meaning shame or pudenda. The original meaning of the word wife meaning women can be seen in words such as midwife and fishwife, ‘Husband’ is from the Old Norse ‘husbandi’ or ‘master of the house’. The union of a man and women, recognised by authority or ceremony is as old as civilization itself and marriage of some kind is found in virtually every society.
But throughout the centuries marriage has taken many different forms. Early marriage was borne of ancient societies need to secure in which to breed, handling the granting of property rights and protect bloodlines. Ancient Hebrew law required a man to become the husband of a deceased brother's widow. During the Victorian era romantic love became viewed as the primary requirement for marriage and the rituals if courting became even more formal. But even in those early times, marriage was much about love and desire as it was social and economic stability.
Marriage, basically the union of a man and women is very important. The relationship should have its sanctity. It's very important for an individual to know the importance of marriage before he or she gets married because marriage is considered as a union by God.