Dear New Mommies,
Congratulations on your precious one’s birth. As a first-timer, you must be worried about the entire how-to and when-to of baby care. Let your motherly instincts guide you while deciding on anything for your baby. When it comes to choosing the right products, stick to natural or organic ones which are also hypoallergenic and gentle on your baby’s tender skin.
Here we have included a stepwise baby care guide that you can refer to whenever you get doubtful.
Bathing for Beginners:
1. Until the umbilical cord falls off:
During the first 10-12 days, until the umbilical cord falls off, you should stick to a gentle sponge bath.
- Keep your baby’s bath essentials such as 2 bowls of water, baby body wash, extremely gentle baby wipes or washcloth, a towel, diapers and clothes ready.
- In one bowl of water, add 2-3 drops of an organic body wash, dip the washcloth into the soapy water and wipe your baby’s face and body with it. Wipe your baby’s eyelids gently from inside to out with a cotton ball.
- Use only certified products such as the tear-free, coconut-based Natural Baby Wash - a mild cleanser by The Moms Co. Infused with oils like Avocado, Organic Chamomile and Organic Aloe Vera Gel, it gently cleans the baby’s delicate skin.
- Take another washing cloth, dip it into the other water bowl and wipe your baby with it gently until the soapy water is removed.
- Wrap your baby with the dry towel and hold her close to your body to give her warmth.
2. After the umbilical cord falls off:
After the umbilical cord detaches from your baby, you can start bathing her normally in a baby bathtub.
- A good body massage before bath helps with baby’s blood circulation, muscle relaxation and bone strengthening. Use organic massage oils - the Natural Massage Oil by The Moms Co., is a toxin-free blend of 10 powerful oils such as Sesame, Organic Almond, Avocado, Organic Jojoba, Organic Chamomile and Natural Vitamin E which will not only nourish your baby’s skin but also relax and strengthen her bones and muscles with regular massage.
- Follow up the massage with a bath. Remember to check the temperature of the water before putting your baby in, and never leave her unattended in the tub.
- Use a baby bathtub and hold your baby by supporting her neck while bathing her.
- Always use dermatologically tested products for your baby. The Moms Co. products are Clinically Tested for Safety and are Certified Toxin-free. They are mild and gentle on your baby’s skin. Their Baby Shampoo has coconut-based cleansers enriched with the goodness of essential oils and organic ingredients such as organic Moringa seed oil, Argan oil and Pro-vitamin B5 that helps with hair growth.
- Use a soft towel to dry and wrap your little one after the bath and follow it up with a good moisturizer.
Skin Care Essentials:
Your baby’s tender, soft skin needs very careful handling. The harsh chemicals in adult body moisturizers etc. can not only irritate your baby’s skin but also can lead to rashes and dry, flaky skin.
- After bath use an organic lotion such as the Natural Baby Lotion by The Moms Co. which is loaded with shea and cocoa butter, and Apricot, Jojoba and Rice Bran oils to keep your baby’s skin soft and moisturized. It is also free of any mineral oils, Sulphates, Parabens, PEGs and other harmful chemicals.
- Ideally, try to keep your baby indoors to avoid the harmful sun rays that can hurt your baby’s skin. But if you do have to step out, cover your baby’s body with full-length clothing. If he/she is more than 6 months old, make sure you apply sunscreen lotion that is suitable for their sensitive skin and protects them from harmful UV rays.
- Unlike regular sunscreens, the Mineral Based Sunscreen lotion does not get absorbed in the skin but forms a protective layer on top of your baby’s skin. Make sure you check the SPF of sunscreen. With SPF 50+, PA++, this sunscreen is toxin-free and water-resistant. It also contains Pongamia Glabra seed oil, Organic carrot seed oil and Red Raspberry Seed oil to keep your baby’s skin protected.
Hear what Seetha Krishnamurthy, a mom of a 10-month-old baby has to say about The Moms Co. -
Yes, one of the most essential things when it comes to caring for your baby is good quality diapers.
- Diapers come in different sizes like Newborn, Size 1, Size 2 etc. It is highly important to choose diapers that not only properly fit your baby, but also have good absorbency.
- By frequently changing your baby’s diapers, you can avoid diaper rashes to some extent, but you cannot totally protect your baby’s sensitive skin from rashes.
- To prevent or reduce the occurrence of rashes, you may also use powder to keep your baby’s bottoms dry. The cornstarch-based Natural Baby Powder by The Moms Co. is not only talc-free but is enriched with Chamomile, Calendula and Jojoba oil which soothes the skin.
- You will also need diaper rash cream to treat these rashes. The Natural Diaper Rash Cream by The Moms Co. has 15% Zinc oxide, Oat Protein and Chamomile Oil, which will treat and soothe your baby’s skin inflammation.
We were lucky enough to have a few words with Priyanka Sharma who uses The Moms Co. products on her baby -
Mommies, your baby needs you more than anything else! Whatever you put on yourself directly affects your baby as well, especially during the breastfeeding stage. So, it is the best idea to include only natural products in your skin care regime. You can find some dermatologically tested, organic alternatives here.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.