Ladies, if there’s one thing we can’t escape it’s our wonderful menstrual cycle. From the tender age of 12 up to the ripe old age that is accompanied by menopause, the one thing that a woman is subject to, on a periodic basis, is the wonderful biological phenomenon that is her period. Unless you’re pregnant or suffer from PCOS, you’re probably used to facing 3-5 days of bleeding from your privates.
This bleeding requires some collection to protect your clothes from wonderfully red stains. Here comes the question of how to accomplish this task. Which method of collection would be the best? For most of us, it’s a question between tampons and pads/sanitary napkins. So how do you pick?
Here are a few pros and cons of both which will hopefully bring some clarity to make this a simpler choice.
1. Its small size makes it convenient and conspicuous to carry around, which is especially helpful if you have a tendency to feel shy about these things.
2. When you need a bathroom break, you don’t have to put your panties back on to be met with an unwelcomed wet feeling. Tampons keep the blood in, where it should be.
3. It’s extremely convenient if you wear tights or figure hugging track pants often as tampons won’t show through (hallelujah!).
4. It makes it easier to take part in sports because you don’t have to worry about shifting. If you didn’t know this already, you can go swimming if you have a tampon on!
5. Contrary to the assumptions of those who don’t use them, when you get accustomed to it, once a tampon is inserted, you can’t even feel it!
1. It is a common perception that women who wear tampons are more susceptible to contracting urinary tract infections (oh no!).
2. Tampons generally have a shorter duration of use. They shouldn’t be in for more that 3-4 hours.
3. When outside, a lot of people often find it uncomfortable to change tampons in public restrooms. It’s easier done in the comfort of one’s own home.
4. For some women, tampons may tend to take a little longer to get comfortable with, since they're inserted inside.
5. If left in for too long, it could lead to leakage and toxic shock syndrome; this is one of the sad disadvantages of not being able to feel them.
1. They’re easier to use; no reason to be intimidated!
2. With pads, the blood isn’t kept inside which eliminates the added susceptibility to toxic shock syndrome.
3. Sanitary napkins can be used for a longer duration than pads; this makes it more preferable to use while sleeping.
4. It’s much easier to change when in public; there’s no hassle of having to awkwardly pull out a string, or inserting anything into your body in that vulnerable state.
5. They tend to offer more leakage protection in the case of heavy flow, seeing as how they cover a large surface area of one’s underwear.
1. One of the largest drawbacks is that you can feel it there, and the wetness can get incredibly uncomfortable, especially during heavy flow periods.
2. There is an added susceptibility of getting rashes in case of sensitive skin or long duration of the menstrual cycle.
3. It may tend to be uncomfortable to use when partaking in sports or exercise, because it may tend to shift due to all the activity; Swimming is a big no-no if you’re wearing a pad.
4. It can be incredibly uncomfortable when you cough or sneeze.
5. It doesn’t provide the same amount of confidence as tampons because you can feel the flow and it may often feel like you’re about to leak.
As is evident from the comparative study above, there are pros and cons of both methods. What you choose, ultimately, depends on what you give more importance to. If you’re more of a sports-y person, you may find it preferable to use a tampon. If you tend to be busier and have a heavier flow, you may find pads more convenient. Neither of them cause any pain, so you might just want to try them both out to see which suits you better.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!