Pregnancy is considered to be one of the best phases in a woman’s life. It not only entails beautiful transformations that you experience with utmost anticipation, but also a great deal of care and cautiousness. Then again, can one really overlook the mood swings and sudden hunger pangs when talking about pregnancy?
Who doesn’t love to eat delicious spicy foods! The aroma of Indian spices can make anyone hungry in an instant. So, it is not unnatural that you too are suddenly tempted to try out spicy food during pregnancy. But just then a series of thoughts hold you back - is spicy food good during pregnancy? What if it affects your baby? Perhaps eating spicy foods during pregnancy is not a great idea after all.
Table Of Contents
Before you turn sad and control your craving for spicy food during pregnancy, isn't it better to get a clear idea about the impacts of spicy food during pregnancy? Does it affect you and your baby at all?
Read on to know it better.
Myths That You Might Hear
Friends, relatives, and neighbours, who seemingly have more experience than you in terms of what is good and what is bad during pregnancy may come up with different ideas. You might come across people who outright disapprove of eating spicy food during pregnancy.
Some of the very common myths that do their rounds about spicy foods during pregnancy are:
‣ Consuming spicy food during pregnancy first trimester impacts the health and affects the development of your baby
‣ Many women are known to suffer from a miscarriage due to eating spicy food during pregnancy, so it must be totally avoided at any cost
‣ Eating spicy food during pregnancy might lead to preterm labour, for which it should be avoided
‣ Too much of spicy food during pregnancy might result in congenital complications when the baby is born
But keep in mind that myths are myths; there is no scientific evidence to support these ideas.
What Might Happen If You Eat Spicy Food?
Now, why people discourage eating spicy food during pregnancy is mainly because certain physical discomforts might be aggravated by eating too much spice. The following are the possible side effects of consuming too many spicy foods during pregnancy.
‣ Digestive problems – Occurrences of acid reflux and heartburn are very common among pregnant women. And too much spicy and rich food simply raises the chances of heartburn and acidity during the final stages of pregnancy.
‣ Morning sickness – During the early phases of pregnancy, as hormonal changes take place, it triggers mood swings and morning sickness. Consumption of spicy food during pregnancy first trimester might result in greater morning sickness.
Is Spicy Food Recommended During The Initial Stages Of Pregnancy?
The first trimester of pregnancy is supposed to be an extremely vital phase and the majority of mishaps are known to happen during this time. Due to this reason, many people think that spicy food during pregnancy first trimester must be strictly avoided.
But in reality, spicy food during pregnancy first three months causes no impact to the baby. Also, eating spicy food during pregnancy advanced stages is also deemed perfectly safe for the baby. What needs to be considered is whether you are comfortable with eating spicy food. If you can digest it easily without feeling uneasy at all, then spicy food during pregnancy first trimester or last trimester should not be a problem.
Is There A Limit To The Amount Of Spicy Food That You Eat?
Well, now that you already know the various myths about eating spicy food during pregnancy, the next question that might pop up in your mind is – how much spicy food is safe to be consumed during pregnancy? Is there a limit?
Now, there is no fixed answer to this question.
How much spicy food you will be able to digest smoothly is totally dependent on your individual tendencies. But, as long as you don't experience discomfort or problems of digestion after eating, you should not have to worry about consuming spicy foods during pregnancy.
However, try to eat spicy foodstuff in moderate amounts. And avoid consuming spicy food items outside. You can buy fresh spices from the market and grind them at home to mix in your home-made food.
The Best Way To Buy Spices That Cause No Discomfort
So that you can safely eat spicy foods during pregnancy, you need to exercise a good deal of caution while buying it from the local market.
You must -
‣ Stay away from spices which are sold loosely in the market. Those might contain various kinds of impurities which might affect you adversely
‣ Always buy spices that are fresh and from a reputed brand that you trust. Spices that are sold in sealed packages are the ones that you can use safely
‣ Make sure to check the packaging date and the “best before” tag before buying. Choose the latest ones for safety
‣ Grind your own fresh spices at home is always the best option to go for. It will be hygienic and aromatic, so using just a little bit will be sufficient to make you happy
How To Include Spicy Food Items In Your Pregnancy Diet?
If you feel that your craving for spicy foods during pregnancy is just uncontrollable and you need to do something about it, then here are some ideas for eating spicy food during pregnancy.
‣ Avoid Eating Outside – Eat spicy food that has been prepared at your home since you can control the amount and quality of spices being used during cooking. And try to avoid eating too much outside as much as possible.
‣ Eat Spicy Food Once – To satiate your craving spicy food during pregnancy you can include a favourite spicy dish of yours in one meal instead of both lunch and dinner.
‣ Eat Milder Spices – Apart from Indian dishes, try out other cuisines like Mexican or Italian that use ingredients like jalapenos, herbs, and oregano. These are not only very pleasantly aromatic but are also very mild in nature. So you can be sure that you are not consuming too much spicy food at one go
‣ Include Pickles - Low spicy pickles taste great with Indian dishes and just a pinch of pickle is enough for the taste buds. So you can include these in your diet.
Pregnancy is a very tender phase and must be dealt delicately with a great deal of love. Besides, what you eat during this time is also extremely important since it will supply you with enough energy and also provide your baby with nourishment. Since spicy foods during pregnancy are totally harmless, you can consume safely without any hesitation.