We always try to make sure that we stay happy and healthy in all parts of our life. This could be what we do, what we eat, how much we sleep, etc. Among these, one of the most important things are keeping your skin positively healthy.
You are not only confident about how you look - your general health is also not badly impacted. Read on to know how psoriasis might affect your skin and how you can easily treat it!
1. What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a common physical condition that mostly affects the skin.
- The usual life cycle of your skin cells is speeded up which prevents dead skin from falling off and staying on the skin’s surface. Naturally, your body sheds dead skin within a month’s cycle regularly. Psoriasis makes this process uncontrollably fast, making the shedding incomplete.
- As the old skin keeps increasing, those areas tend to get scaly and infected. This infection causes an autoimmune response from the body - where your body starts to attack itself due to a weakened immune system.
While there is no sure cause or reason for psoriasis to occur and is still being studied by professionals - there are a few factors that could affect why you may have the skin problem.
- Environment and genetics. If you have a family history of psoriasis or the place where you live at affects your body, you may be more likely to have signs of psoriasis.
- Skin injuries like a scrape, cut, sunburn, surface infection, bug bite or even scratching
- Medications such as lithium, quinidine, indomethacin, antimalarials, etc.
- An infection like bronchitis, tonsillitis, flu, HIV, pneumonia or streptococcal infection.
- Weak immunity
- Stress or depression
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Medical conditions like cardiac diseases, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, Crohn’s disease, psoriatic arthritis, high cholesterol and ulcerative colitis
3. Signs and symptoms
The signs of psoriasis is different for different individuals. Yet, some general signs to look out for are:
- red, itchy, sore, burning and scaly patches on the skin (body, scalp, palms, elbows, nails, mouth, knees, torso, soles of the feet, etc.)
- whitish scaly spots in knees, elbows and back
- cracked and dry skin which may bleed
- painful, stiff joints that may get swollen after a while
- deformed and thickened nails
Knowing which kind of psoriasis you have will help you take the right action at the right time.
- This awareness will be very beneficial for you precious skin’s positive health.
- In addition, your doctor will also be able to consult you the best treatment for the type of psoriasis you have.
4. What are the side-effects of psoriasis?
Along with the above symptoms, psoriasis also puts you at a higher risk of:
- joint damage and loss of function in some joints
- eye conditions such as conjunctivitis, blepharitis and uveitis
- worsened symptoms of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disorders, high blood pressure and
- other medical conditions like autoimmune disorders, parkinson’s disease, kidney disorders and digestive disorders
Thus, it is very important for you to visit a doctor regularly!
If you are doubtful or have observed more than one of any signs that have been stated above, your doctor will definitely help manage any harm or danger.
5. Prevention and treatment
There is no permanent cure for psoriasis.
Yet, you can positively control the symptoms with treatment. After careful consultation with a doctor, a safe method can be chosen to give you the best treatment. This also depends on the extent to which the psoriasis has spread in your body.
To first conclude what type of psoriasis you have, your doctor will test a sample of your skin.
- Then, depending on the type of psoriasis, your doctor will prescribe the needed treatments.
-These include light therapy, topical cream treatments (with various lotions, creams, ointments, solutions and sprays), steroids and medication.
- If none of the above methods work, doctors use biological treatments that include medication in the form of IV and pills. This method directly tries to solve the problems at the immunity level.
Happy skin means a happy mommy. So, stay healthy and beautiful ladies!
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!