Apple cider vinegar drink is fermented juice from crushed apples. Like apple juice apple cider vinegar probably contains some pectin; vitamins B1, B2, and B6; biotin; folic acid; niacin; pantothenic acid; and vitamin C. Organic apple cider vinegar also contains small amounts of the minerals sodium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Apple cider vinegar drink can also contain significant quantities of acetic acid and citric acid. It is used to make medicine. As it’s said that excess of everything is bad, despite having many significant benefits, apple cider vinegar side effects too have been noticed on excess consumption.
Table Of Content
Nutritional Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
We all know that apple cider vinegar is extracted from fermented apples. Apple cider vinegar literally means ‘sour wine of apple’ in Latin as well as in French. This sour juice is full of essential vitamins and minerals like pectin, vitamins B1, B2, B6, and C, folic acid, biotin, pantothenic acid, niacin, sodium, phosphorus, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and acetic acid. Hence, it’s no wonder that apple cider vinegar is utilized to treat a plethora of ailments.
Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the fermented juice of crushed apples. It contains acetic acid and nutrients such as B vitamins and vitamin C. Apple cider vinegar might help lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes by changing how foods get absorbed from the gut. Apple cider vinegar might prevent the breakdown of some foods. It has been found out by the researchers that apple cider vinegar proved to be helpful in below mentioned health problems:
‣ Diabetes: Some preliminary research suggests that consuming vinegar or apple cider vinegar might reduce blood sugar levels after a meal.
‣ Weight loss: Apple cider vinegar helps in weight loss by reducing appetite…and maintaining the fullness after meals longer
‣ Leg cramps and pain: Since one of the many apple cider vinegar benefits is that it’s high in potassium, one home remedy suggests mixing 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon honey to a glass of warm water and drink to relieve nighttime leg cramps.
‣ Unsettled stomach: Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders for your digestive system. The prebiotics contained in Apple Cider Vinegar are incredibly beneficial to the healthy microorganisms that monitor your digestive system. Drinking it can also help regulate the amount of acid in your stomach, which leads to easier digestion
‣ Sore throats: As soon as you feel the prickle of a sore throat, employ germ-busting apple cider vinegar to help head off the infection at the pass as the micro-organism would not survive the acidic medium.
‣ Infection: The acetic acid in Apple Cider Vinegar can help kill pathogenic bacteria such as E. coli, as well as harmful microbes and viruses. Increasing stomach acid means the pH level of the stomach goes down, which helps kill any bad microbes that we may get exposed to through our foods,
‣ Lowering cholesterol: If you’re looking for a simple way to help lower cholesterol and your risk of heart attack, look no further than that bottle of Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar lowers triglycerides. Triglycerides cause fatty plaque in your arteries. This buildup can lead to a blockage of blood flow. Apple cider vinegar thus controls your blood pressure and maintains the proper circulation of blood.
‣ Acne: Apple cider vinegar makes a great natural toner that can act as a natural home remedy for acne and leave skin looking healthier. Its antibacterial properties help keep acne under control, and the malic and lactic acids found in apple cider vinegar soften and exfoliate skin, reduce red spots, and balance the pH of your skin.
[Read more: 10 Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Benefit You]
Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects
Consuming apple cider vinegar in food amounts is supposed to be safe and have good health effects. Apple cider vinegar, for most adults, is good when used short-term for medical purposes. While its benefits are extensively known to a lot of people, only a handful of them is actually aware of the side effects of apple cider vinegar, which can turn out to be gruesome.
We will now discuss in brief about the side effect of Apple cider vinegar:
I. Tissue Damage
Overuse of apple cider vinegar, whether in dry or liquid form, can damage or corrode the oesophagus, tooth enamel, and stomach lining due to the high level of citric acidic content in it. Moreover, the direct application of apple cider vinegar on the skin can cause irritation, rashes, and a burning sensation.
II. Low Potassium Levels
According to a study, the high acetic acid content of apple cider vinegar causes low potassium levels in your blood. This condition is called hypokalaemia. This situation may cause many associated symptoms and ailments including weakness, nausea, cramps, frequent urination, low blood pressure, changes in heart rhythm, and paralysis.
III. Drug Reactions
Another side effect of apple cider vinegar is that since it is acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar can easily react with some drugs like laxatives, diuretics, and insulin. Since apple cider vinegar has a direct effect on the insulin levels and blood sugar, it may prove to be highly hazardous when taken with blood pressure and diabetes medications.
IV. Gastrointestinal Problems
Other side effects of apple cider vinegar that are caused due to its acidic nature include serious diarrhoea, indigestion, and heartburn. If you are using apple cider vinegar for detoxification, these side effects are very common
V. Damaged Tooth Enamel
The high acidic level of undiluted apple cider vinegar can destroy your tooth enamel if it is consumed orally. Besides giving a yellowish shade to your teeth, it increases your dental sensitivity as well.
VI. Decreased Bone Density
The excessive use of apple cider vinegar also reduces the bone mineral density, making our bones weak and brittle. Hence, people suffering from osteoporosis and senior citizens should never go overboard with this ingredient.
VII. A Sore Throat
Many studies have concluded that the oral overuse of apple cider vinegar can eventually lead to throat irritation. This is caused mainly due to the presence of acetic acid in apple cider vinegar.
VIII. Low Blood Sugar Levels
The excessive use of apple cider vinegar can lower the blood sugar levels in the body due to its anti-glycaemic effect on the blood. In some cases, it may cause diabetic hypoglycemia, cutting off glucose supply to the brain, and resulting in unconsciousness and even coma. However, this activity of apple cider vinegar comes as a blessing to people suffering from type II diabetes and insulin resistance.
IX. Acne And Itchy Skin
One of the many purposes of apple cider vinegar is to flush out toxins from our system. However, another one of apple cider vinegar side effects is that it can lead to acne production since our body tends to expel toxins via our skin, therefore, all the beautiful ladies out there should be mentally prepared before it’s consumption.
X. Decreased Mineral Levels
As much as detoxification is a must for our body, this process generally flushes out both good and bad substances from our body. It expels a few essential nutrients like minerals that are very important for our health.
Safe Consumption Of Apple Cider Vinegar
Most people can safely consume reasonable amounts of apple cider vinegar by following these general guidelines:
‣ Limit your intake: Start with a smaller amount and gradually work up to a maximum of 2 tablespoons (30 ml) per day, depending on your personal tolerance.
‣ Minimize your tooth exposure to acetic acid: Try diluting the vinegar in water and drinking it through a straw.
‣ Rinse your mouth: Rinse with water after taking it. To prevent further enamel damage, wait at least 30 minutes before brushing your teeth.
‣ Consider avoiding it if you have gastroparesis: Avoid apple cider vinegar or limit the amount to 1 teaspoon (5 ml) in water or salad dressing.
‣ Be aware of allergies: Allergies to apple cider vinegar are rare but stop taking it immediately if you experience an allergic reaction.
Too much of everything is bad. Despite all these side effects of apple cider vinegar, when consumed in the moderate quantity, this miracle drink is known to provide many health benefits. Let us know if you are aware of any apple cider vinegar related facts that we missed out on.