Diseases like black fever are common in the northern part of India. The state of Kerala has a record of very few cases.
Black fever or kala azar is an acute, infectious, slow progressing and indigenous disease. It is also the second largest parasitic killer in the world after malaria. The condition is caused by protozoan parasites of the genus leishmania.
Signs of black fever include:
- recurrent fever i.e. usually intermittent or remittent with a double rise.
- pancytopenia of the blood (insufficiency of red cells, white cells and platelets)
- high mortality
- frontal headache with intense lumbar pain.
- splenomegaly (strange amplification of the spleen)
- black fever is spread by sand flies i.e. ones generally found in sandy areas. They are about 3 mm long, golden, brownish or grey in colour.
Recently, in Thiruvananthapuram, a 38-year-old man named Shibu from the Villumala Colony was detected with black fever.
He went to the hospital complaining about severe stomach ache and dizziness. The doctors decided to send him out to the RCC for a bone marrow test. The results were unfortunately tested as positive with black fever.
The people in the idyllic Koorachundu village in Kerala’s northern district of Kozhikode are also in a panic mode.
- Black fever has claimed seven lives in the village since the onset of this year’s rainstorms and monsoons.
- More than 10,000 of the 17,751 occupants of Koorachundu are also experiencing fever that has been caused by mosquitoes. Out of 160 cases revealed in the town, 88 cases have been affirmed to be dengue fever by wellbeing specialists.
There is a mixed opinion about whether farming or animal husbandry is the additional cause of black fever or dengue fever. Experts say: "The loss from the ranches that subsides into the dirt and water bodies for quite a long time is causing different sorts of fever.” In fact, some animal ranches have been closed down. This has made the land to be dumped in the open regions - providing a rich ground to mosquitoes.
Nonetheless, District Medical Officer Dr Asha Devi said: “Loss from ranches couldn't be singled out as the primary purpose behind dengue. The Aedes aegypti mosquito, which causes dengue fever, breeds only in crisp water.”
Prevention and treatments
- it has been chosen to begin indoor lingering splashing in the region to annihilate sand flies.
- the government has included medicinal camps by specialists from the Health Department and Thiruvananthapuram MCH.
A health department officer said: “There is a separated arrangement to direct a mindfulness battle among province occupants to keep up cleanliness and control the sandflies.” A medicinal camp will be led in the territory for recognizing instances of the two prime pointers of kala azar. The veterinary department has also been solicited to gather blood tests from creatures in the region to guarantee that people and animals are protected from sandflies.
Wellbeing specialists under the administration of the region therapeutic office have affirmed the nearness of swarms of sandflies in the territory. They say: “Expand vector control measures have been propelled in the territory.” A locale observation officer said: “The vector control measures, being done in relationship with the woodland and creature cultivation divisions, will be finished in five days.”
This is a case of unhygienic surroundings leading to various types of diseases. The town is said to have a few lakes and open wells which breed mosquitoes/other insects. Though there are very few cases of black fever in Kerala, they need a lot of attention. Healthy living habits should be followed and lakes should be maintained properly.
We need to remember that health is very important and try our best to keep it positive. Stay healthy!
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!