All parents want their kids to grow up to be tall adults. In today’s world, many kids are much taller than what their parents were during their childhood. However, there is a small percentage of kids who trail behind. Concerned parents look for healthy ways to make sure that their kids grow taller. Healthy foods that promote growth and exercise are the best options. Medicines that are used to promote height in kids harm the body and have a lot of side effects. Some parents believe that just because they both are short, their children will be short as well. But with the right diet, posture and a few exercises, it is possible to aid the growth of your child, considerably. Exercises elongate and lengthen the bones. And in growing children, the bands of cartilage around long bones of the arms and legs stretch and allow for the bones to grow. Shortly after puberty, around the ages of 16 to 18, this cartilage fuses and doesn’t allow bones to grow anymore. And this is why exercises to increase height are required to be taken up at a younger age.
There is no secret for increasing height overnight. You may have seen the advertisements in newspapers and on television which claim to speed up height but believe me, most of them are bogus. They do not actually have any impact on the growth of human beings. Conversely, eating such non-prescription drugs can lead to several physical complications.
Here are some simple guidelines that might help in increasing the height of your child-
1. Balanced diet for overall growth
Here are some of the food items that will enhance the growth of your child :
- Milk - Milk is rich in calcium, which is known to increase the height in children. It keeps your child’s bones strong and prevents them from breaking easily as well.The Vitamin A present in milk helps your child’s bones absorb the calcium better. Milk is also a storehouse of protein, which helps the growth of cells in your child’s body. Make sure your child have two to three glasses of milk each day.
- Fresh Fruits And Vegetables - Intake of fresh fruits and vegetables are critical to your child’s growth and development. These contain a good amount of fiber, vitamins, potassium and folates. Vitamin A will present in fruits and vegetables help in the development of your child’s bones and tissues. Some good sources of Vitamin A are papaya, carrots, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, mango, watermelon and apricots. Foods rich in Vitamin C like citrus fruits help tackle your any issues in your child's growth that may arise.
- Grains - Grains have loads of energy. They are also an abundant source of fiber, vitamins, iron, magnesium and selenium. Grains are rich in calories that are important during the growing years of your child. Foods such as brown rice, whole grain pastas and whole wheat can give your child an increased height.
- Oatmeal - Oatmeal is a miracle food for height growth in children. It is a very good source of plant protein and helps to increase the muscle mass and reduce fat. Encourage your child to have a healthy oats breakfast every morning.
- Eggs - Eggs are rich in proteins and Vitamin B12. Encourage your child to have at least one to three eggs every day, in order to grow taller.
- Chicken - If you are a non-vegetarian, let your child benefit from this protein rich food. Chicken has one of the highest protein content in animal-based food sources. Intake of chicken will help in the development of muscles and tissue in your child.
- Soybeans - Soybeans are the highest source of protein in plant-based food. It contains protein in its purest form, which is crucial for the development of bone and tissue in your child.
- Dairy Based Foods - an excellent choice to increase height fast and naturally. Dairy foods like cheese, cottage cheese and yoghurt are rich sources of vitamins A, B, D and E as well as protein and calcium. Vitamin D and calcium will help your child grow tall.
- Beef - Beef is another animal-based food that contains one of the highest amounts of protein. Your child can have beef occasionally. Excessive beef intake can lead to cholesterol issues.
- Fish - One of the best height growing foods. Salmon and tuna are two types of fish that are extremely rich in Vitamin D and proteins. Intake of tuna can boost help your little one grow in height.
You must try to include these ten food groups regularly in your child’s diet to increase height and to ensure his healthy height growth and development. You can plan and prepare his meals keeping the above information in mind. It will ensure he has a healthy intake, adding more variety to his plate and pampering his taste buds. In addition to eating right, encourage your child to be active and spend time outdoors.
2. Stretching Exercises
Stretching is one of the most effective ways to increase your child’s height. Simple exercises that involve stretching are recommended. An exercise you can get your child to try is to stand against a wall with his back towards it. Ask him to raise their hands and stretch as far as he possibly can. The next step is to sit with his back against the wall on his toes and stretch the muscles in their leg. This can be repeated ten times every day. Another fantastic stretching exercise is to get your child to sit on the floor with their legs apart as wide as possible. Let them bend their waist and stretch to touch his toes, about four times on each leg. This is a beneficial exercise as it helps in the elongation of his spine and improves his posture.
3. Hanging Exercises
Hanging exercises are effective in elongating and straightening your child’s spine. Pull-ups are a fantastic way to promote growth, so encourage your child to practice this regularly. Chin-ups are also awesome growth-enhancing exercises that your child will love. Make sure that he practices every day for about 10 minutes.
Some yoga asanas, especially the Surya Namaskar and the Adho Mukha Svanasana stretches the whole body easily. Have your child do basic breathing exercises before beginning. Then lie down on the back, lift hips and stretch legs backwards. Make sure the back is absolutely straight. Maintain this position and continue breathing deeply for as long as possible. Also, poses like the Chakrasana can also help your child stretch the entire body. Make your child lie down flat on the back, legs shoulder-width apart. Bend knees so they touch the buttocks and bend elbows so that fingers touch the shoulder. Breath in and push up the body to create a ‘U’ position and hold for as long as possible. Release the position, breathing out and rest for a few seconds before repeating the pose. Yoga has been proven to be effective in the growth of children's height.
5. Sports and activities like Lawn Tennis, Swimming, Jogging
Skipping is an activity that many kids love and it can be used to promote your child’s growth. As he skips, his body stretches and hence, he grows a few inches every time he performs this exercise. Sports like lawn tennis, volleyball, etc involves a lot of running and jumping. This helps the bones and cartilages to stretch, thus allowing them to elongate.