Circumcision is the process of surgically removing the foreskin, that is the skin covering the tip of the penis. Many parents following the Jewish or the Islam faith get their baby boys circumcised for religious reasons. Non-religious circumcision is common and widespread in the United States, Canada, Africa, and the Middle East than in Asia, Europe, Central America, and South America, where it is quite uncommon. Parents who do so often base their decision on concerns about hygiene, or social or cultural reasons. The decision to circumcise the baby boy can be tough to make. We are listing some pros and cons of circumcision to help you make the right choice for your baby.
What are the Pros?
· Circumcision helps in protection against the urinary tract infections or UTIs during the first year of the baby’s life.
· It prevents the infections under the foreskin and also prevents the persistent tight foreskin. These problems are rare and happen due to the pulling back of the foreskin – often and hard.
· It can decrease the risk of acquiring sexually transmitted diseases or STDs, including HIV. However, it does not completely protect from getting any STD.
· Circumcision is also known to have reduced the risk of cancer of the penis or penile cancer.
· It also prevents phimosis, paraphimosis, and balanitis.
· It creates an easier genital hygiene.
· Circumcision also keeps the appearance of the boy like other boys or the males of the family. This does not make him feel different and prevents other kids from bullying him.
What are the Cons?
· Surgical problems. Infections in the bloodstream or the skin may occur. Other problems that may occur are bleeding, scarring, gangrene, or other surgical accidents.
· Circumcision procedure causes pain to the baby boy. The doctors usually use some anaesthetic to reduce the pain.
· The anaesthetic used can cause side effects. Overdose can also lead to death.
· You may have to bear the cost of the circumcision procedure yourself as most of the insurance does not cover the cost of this surgery.
· You need to make a quick decision. The complications arise when the surgery is done later and a general anaesthesia is required if you decide to not have your son circumcised initially but after a few months. Try to make the final decision within the first month of the birth of the boy.
· Circumcision can be seen as a disfigurement by some people.
No matter what your decision is, but the important thing is to maintain a general genital hygiene. If you get your son circumcised, it is important to keep the area clean. One must clean it gently with warm water. Diaper wipes must not be used. Soapy water can be used. An uncircumcised penis should also be kept clean. Wash it with warm water every time you bathe the baby.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!