When it comes to the choice of food, you will find people divided into two groups. While some people swear by the health benefits of a vegetarian or vegan diet (personal preference, religious reasons or medical requirements), for the rest, nothing is more pleasurable than binging into various lip-smacking non-vegetarian cuisines and delicacies. It is indeed a Herculean task to choose a slightly better diet. A vegan, as well as a non-vegetarian diet, have their share of nutritive merits and demerits respectively. In this article, we will discuss some of the pros and cons of a vegan diet.
Merits of a Vegan Diet
1. Laden with antioxidants: The health benefits of antioxidants requires no special mention. Antioxidants play a pivotal role in protecting the body from the deleterious effects of the oxidative damage triggered by the free radicals, thereby doing your skin a world of good. Antioxidants (Lycopene) also takes care of the prostate health, heart (Flavonoids), eyes (Carotenoids, especially Beta-carotenoids). A vegan diet comprising of fruits (Berries, Oranges, Prunes, Plums, Cherries) vegetables (Spinach, Kale, Beetroots, Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes), whole grains, legumes, is antioxidants served on a platter.
2. Keeps quite a few health problems and disorders at bay: The incidences of heart problems, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia and related complications are on a mercurial rise worldwide. While the trigger can be a myriad of factors, switching to a vegan diet can bring about significant improvement. In fact, many people have benefitted with the dietary switch. As known to many, elevated levels of LDL or Low-Density Cholesterol (also known as the Bad Cholesterol) can spell doom leading to health disorders such as Hypertension, Heart problems and Diabetes (especially Type-II). Various studies suggest that a vegan diet plays a pivotal role in lowering down the level of LDL. It is for this reason that people with Type-II Diabetes, Hypertension or Heart problem are often advised to switch to a vegan diet.
3. The herbs and spices, namely garlic, ginger, onion, turmeric, are known for their anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic properties and often helps to treat a varied range of ailments and disorders.
4. The most important factor that many activists and environmentalists stress upon is that a vegan diet is environmentally more sustainable and advantageous.
Demerits of a vegan diet
A Vegan Diet is not always a bed of roses. It has its downside as well.
1. A dip in the dietary vitamins and essential minerals: A vegan diet is often found to be lacking in the essential vitamins and minerals, namely Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, calcium, iron, folate, omega-3 fatty acids (salmon is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids). These vitamins and minerals are essential for the functioning of the body. Thus, in the absence of these vitamins and minerals, a person is more likely to suffer from weakness, anemia, various bone disorders, loss of muscle tone and mass, constipation, to name a few.
2. Certain fruits and vegetable may provide the body with proteins but nothing as compared to the protein obtained from meat and dairy products.
3. On a lighter note, when it comes to a vegan diet, not all restaurants come up with a wide variety of options. In the case of official meetings and parties, the situation may get awkward (though not always).
There is no denying the fact that a vegan diet is indeed a healthy option, but only if you can overlook the demerits or come up with substitutes to make up for the lost nutrients.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!