Here, a wholesome combo of five varieties of dal with lots of protein along with a special masala water and whole spices as well! Not only the flavours of the spices, but the flavours of the assorted dals are also discernable in this delightful dish. Dissolving the spice powders in water before sautéing them ensures that they get uniformly mixed, and also gives a nice, strong aroma to the dish. The Panchmel Dal also gets a nice tangy twist from amchur powder and tamarind pulp, which makes it a nice, tongue-tickling treat!
Panchmel Dal recipe - How to make Panchmel Dal
Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 15 mins Total Time: 25 mins Makes 6 servings
Show me for servings
- 5 tbsp toovar (arhar) dal, washed and drained
- 5 tbsp chana dal (split Bengal gram), washed and drained
- 5 tbsp green moong dal (split green gram), washed and drained
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils), washed and drained
- 1 tbsp whole moong (whole green gram), washed and drained
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 slit green chillies
- 2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp
- To Be Mixed Into A Masala Water
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp water
1. Combine the dals, 4 cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the bay leaves, cloves, cumin seeds, asafoetida and green chillies.
3. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the prepared masala water and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
4. Add the cooked dal, dried mango powder, tamarind pulp and a little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Serve immediately with naan or paratha.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.