While you are pregnant, you tend to take care and be careful about a lot of things. And as such, all the things you were earlier able to do without thinking twice need to be done after proper consultation and research.One such thing that moms-to-be often tend to be careful about is oil pulling during pregnancy. In order to help you understand all about this process, lets first know what oil pulling is and how oil pulling and pregnancy are related.
What Is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique which has been practised in India since ancient times. Although, with the arrival of modern medicine, this technique became somewhat obsolete but has again started creating a buzz among the people recently. Oil pulling is directly used to upkeep a person’s oral hygiene. In this process, a few teaspoons of vegetable oil (coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil or sunflower oil) are put into the mouth and swished. On an average, this is done for approximately 20 mins. The idea behind this ancient technique was that oil will be easily able to cut through the plaque and remove toxins while following the principle ‘Like dissolves Like’.
Oil Pulling And Pregnancy
There has been contradictory information about oil pulling during pregnancy. While most research suggests that oil pulling is perfectly safe and actually beneficial during pregnancy, there are, however, some concerns on whether the oil can harm the fetus if some of it is accidentally ingested. Yet, given the type of oils that are used for oil pulling, there does not seem to be any drawback or a negative point even if you do ingest the oil.
Benefits Of Oil Pulling In Pregnancy
To give you a better picture and perspective on oil pulling and pregnancy, mentioned below are some its benefits that you should be aware of. Be careful though, oil pulling should be done in a proper manner and the amount of oil should not exceed the recommended amount.
- Oil pulling helps improve oral hygiene of the expectant mother. And, it has been seen in various researches that oral hygiene of the mother is directly related to preterm births.
- During pregnancy, expectant mothers often tend to experience a toothache which often recurs. Oil pulling has been known to be really helpful in reducing toothache and also giving better dental hygiene.
- Oil pulling helps counter hormonal imbalances which are a normal recurrence during pregnancy.
- Nausea and vomiting are some of the most common things that happen to a pregnant woman. By oil pulling, the effect of nausea can be reduced significantly.
- Overall, oil pulling has been seen in many different cases to have reduced the chances of any type of birth complication and thereby improve the health of both the mother and the baby.
Other Benefits Of Oil Pulling
Now that we have found out what oil pulling is, the next thing comes is how oil pulling benefits us. Like all other ayurvedic techniques, oil pulling too has multiple benefits. Some of these benefits have been mentioned below.
- It has been known to significantly reduce the chances of any type of gum related disease.
- The action of swishing oil in the mouth and the muscles this action stretches also helps in reducing migraine attacks both in frequency and intensity.
- Oil pulling has also been seen to correct hormonal imbalances while also giving you whiter teeth.
- Various skin related diseases like eczema and acne have also been known to be helped out with oil pulling.
- The oil pulling technique helps ease sinus congestion while giving you a better sleep.
- It has also been known to improve kidney function and reduce the effects of arthritis.
With these multifold benefits, oil pulling is definitely a process that you should inculcate in your life.
How To Perform Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a technique that has its own method. Following the correct method is important as only then will you be able to get the maximum benefits out of it. Mentioned below is the step-by-step procedure on how to perform oil pulling.
1. On an empty stomach in the morning, take a tablespoon of the oil you want to use for oil pulling and put it in your mouth.
2. Swish the oil in your mouth for 20 mins. You are not expected to start swishing for 20 mins from the first day itself. So, take your time and work up to the 20 mins time.
3. Spit out the oil once you are done swishing. Take care that you do not ingest the oil as this oil is going to be full of toxins, plaque and other chemicals. After swishing, the oil should have turned whitish and thinner as an indicator of the toxins.
4. Once you spit out the oil, wash your mouth with water to remove any residual toxins or you can directly brush your teeth.
Oil pulling has multiple benefits if it is done properly and can improve not just your oral health but your overall health as well. So, try to embed this practice into your routine as much as you can.