Bhelpuri is a savoury snack, originating from the Indian subcontinent and is also a type of “chaat”. Bhelpuri is a delicious mixture of puffed rice, sev, tomato, potato, onion and sweet sour spicy chutneys. Bhelpuri belongs to the family of chaats, which are salty and spicy snacks sold on carts throughout India. It is one of the famous healthy Indian snacks. The preparation of Bhelpuri is quite easy and can be easily prepared at home.
When made with lots of fresh vegetables like tomato, capsicum and grated carrots, bhelpuri can be super nutritious. It is safe for consumption during pregnancy provided one doesn't overdo it. Avoid adding too much lemon juice or masala when you prepare it.
Table Of Content:
Calories in Bhelpuri
Puffed rice 9.4%
Lemon juice 0.4%
Recipe of Bhelpuri
Bhel Puri can be prepared in many ways. One of the most healthiest and easiest recipe of Bhelpuri is as follows :-
Puffed rice - 2 cups
Sev - ½ cup
Onions - 1 cup (finely chopped)
Potatoes - 1 cup (boiled)
Chutney - 1 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves - 100 gm
Chaat masala - 1 tbsp
Sprouts - ½ cup
Roasted peanuts - 2 tbsp
Dry roast the puffed rice in a pan till they become crisp
Let them cool and take them all in a large bowl
Add everything to the puffed rice except sev and coriander leaves
Quickly mix everything
Now lastly garnish bhel puri with some coriander leaves and sev
Serve bhel puri immediately
Evening Indian Snacks Recipes
A snack is a small portion of food that is usually served in between the meals to keep us energetic and refreshing. A healthy snack provides the most needed nutrition especially for growing kids.
India is famous for its evening snack. Here are some popular Indian snacks along with their recipes.
Potatoes(2 cups), green peas(½ cup), carrots(1 cup), beans(½ cup), coriander leaves(3 tbsp), garam masala(¾ tbsp), bread crumbs(6 tbsp), besan(2 tbsp), oil(4 tbsp).
- Steam or boil veggies
- Drain any excess moisture if left and use up in other ways
- Mash the veggies well. Add breadcrumbs, salt, ginger and garam masala to the veggies
- Divide the dough to 13 to 14 parts. Make thick patties and set aside
- Add besan to a small mixing bowl. Pour water to make a slightly thin batter
- Next dip each patty in the batter on both the sides
- Place them on the bread crumbs
- Lastly heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil for shallow frying. Fry them on both the side until it is crisp
- Serve vegetable kebab with sauce
Image Credits: revisfoodography.com
wheat flour( 1 cup), rice flour(¼ cup), baking soda(½ tbsp), yogurt(½ cup), onion(1 tbsp).
- Add wheat flour, rice flour, salt, soda, jeera to a mixing bowl
- Add chopped onion, chillies, coriander leaves and ginger
- Pour yogurt and 3 tbsp water
- Mix well to make a thick batter of dropping consistency
- Heat oil in a deep fry pan
- Shape 1 tbsp of batter in between fingers
- When they turn crisp and golden, remove them to a plate
- Serve Mysore bonda
Image Credits: cooktube.in
Potatoes(300 gms), chaat masala(¼ tbsp), corn flour(2 tbsp), oil(2 tbsp).
- Boil the potatoes and grate it
- Mash the potatoes and mix it with spice powders and salt. Mix everything well
- Divide the mixture into small shaped patties.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and place the aloo tikkis in it
- Flip for a couple of times till it becomes golden and crispy
- Serve aloo tikkis with sauce
Healthy Snacks While Pregnant
During Pregnancy a woman's body works overtime to provide nutrition to the baby. Hence eating at regular intervals becomes a necessity. Here are some healthy pregnancy snacks which have plenty of proteins, carbohydrates and fibres to help beat the pregnancy hunger pangs
The famous Indian street food, bhel (bhelpuri) can be transformed into healthy bhel by adding some steamed sprouts, boiled potato, onion and coriander leaves.
It is rich in soluble fibres. It is easy to prepare it, only milk is added to the oatmeal and heated for a few minutes and then the oatmeal can be served. This does not contain any kind of flavour or colour which might be harmful.
It helps to deal with the fatigue or exhaustion and makes the person feel better. It can be easily prepared at home by using any fruit blended with milk and sugar. The fruits and milk provide essential nutrients and loads of calcium and proteins to the mother as well as the baby.
Quick fruit chaat
This chaat consists of fruits, chaat masala, lemon juice, black salt and roasted cumin seed powder. All these provide a bowl full of carbohydrates, proteins and iron.
It can be prepared at home with the ingredients such as brown bread and various nutritious vegetables such as cucumber, tomato, radish etc. It includes a high level of proteins, carbohydrates and other minerals.