Pregnancy is a wonderful stage in every woman’s life. In one hand she is excited about the arrival of her little baby, but on the other hand, she is extremely nervous about everything that is happening. The first time moms face this anxiety all the more, especially when it comes to her pregnancy diet plan. There are many fruits and vegetables which are otherwise considered healthy and nutritious, needs to be restricted during pregnancy. Is Avocado one of them? Or, is it safe to eat avocado during pregnancy? If you or someone close to you is an expecting mother and wondering how to eat avocado during pregnancy, the article is a must read for you.
Table Of Content:
What Is An Avocado?
Most people may not really know what is an Avocado, let’s answer that first. Avocado is basically a fruit from Mexico. The green coloured and egg-shaped plant contains a large see in it. Due to its very powerful health benefits, which have been scientifically proven, avocados have gained popularity throughout the world. In India too more and more people are realising its goodness and high nutrient value.
Is It Safe To Eat Avocado During Pregnancy?
Unless your doctor has advised otherwise, avocados are a great fruit to eat during pregnancy. They are very high potassium and folic acid which are considered to be extremely important for the fetal growth. If you too get the avocado pregnancy craving, there is absolutely nothing wrong in it.
‣ Avocado During First Trimester
Having avocados during first trimester can be very beneficial for the baby, as this is the time when doctors prescribe a daily intake of folic acid, in the form of a small tablet. Having Avocados can be the most natural way of getting the required amount. Having avocado during first Trimester is also known to reduce the birth defect risks. Avocados are also known to help in reducing morning sickness.
‣ Avocado During Second Trimester
Eating avocado during second Trimester is also very important as this is the time when it becomes very important to ensure a proper intake of foods that are rich in magnesium, calcium and fibre. It helps the baby to get stronger bones and teeth when you eat avocado during second Trimester.
‣ Avocado During Third Trimester
It is very beneficial to have avocado during third trimester. It is extremely rich in Vitamin E as well as Vitamin C and fibre, they together make a power packed fruit which proves helpful in the proper growth of the baby. It is very good for the moms to be to have avocado during third trimester, as it helps them stay healthy too. Many moms-to-be suffer leg cramps. A good way to have avocado during third trimester is to have avocado milkshake during pregnancy.
Is It Safe To Eat Unripe Avocado During Pregnancy?
When a woman is pregnant, she scans just about everything that would go near her baby. If you have been thinking is it safe to eat unripe avocado during pregnancy, here’s your answer. Though there aren’t facts to prove that an unripe avocado might be harmful, you may want to avoid it. The unripe avocado would not be as creamy as a ripe one. It also won’t be as tasty as a ripe one too. But if you still are craving a raw avocado during pregnancy, it is recommended that you speak to your doctor once.
How To Eat Avocado During Pregnancy?
So now we know the benefits of eating avocados during pregnancy. But eating it like a fruit may sometimes be boring. Here are a few interesting ways on how to eat avocado during pregnancy.
‣ Avocado In Pancakes: Add a few cubes of avocado into your fruit pancake, and make it overflowing with good health.
‣ Avocado In Salad: When you add an avocado to your salad, it makes the salad more filling and all the more nutritious. Just sprinkle some salt and pepper and enjoy the salad.
‣ Avocado On A Toast: Puree an avocado in a blender, and just you spread butter or mayo on a toast, you can do the same with the avocado puree.
‣ Avocado Smoothies: Drinking avocado milkshake during pregnancy can be extremely healthy. Just throw in avocado, a banana, some soaked almonds and a cup of milk, enjoy this healthy drink with an ice cube or two.
‣ Avocado Pickles: Avocado Pickles are great in taste, and you can give in to your craving avocado during pregnancy. Don’t go overboard, however, and have just little a day.
‣ Avocado Guacamole: Make the famous Mexican dip with raw avocados for that tangy taste. You may also use it as a spread for sandwiches.
‣ Avocado Raita: Grate an avocado directly or steam and mash it and add it to your salted cup of Raita. Sprinkle some jeera powder and black pepper and it is a taste treat.
‣ Avocado Sandwich: Add a few thin slices of avocado to your vegetable or chicken sandwich. It would make a much healthier option as the avocado will add loads of vitamins and fibre to your sandwich.
A Few Necessary Precautions
There is no doubt that Avocado is a superfood, but if you are trying to stay within the scale during your medical conditions during pregnancy it might be better to limit the intake and avoid eating too much of Avocado. Moms-to-be, especially those who are allergic to latex, need to avoid avocados.
Taking Your Doctor’s Advice
Avocado is said to be a very healthy food not just for the mommy-to-be, but the womb too. But in case you have been advised otherwise by your doctor, do not eat them. It is always recommended to consult your gynaecologist before you make any sudden changes in your diet during pregnancy.