Are you a hygiene freak? If yes, then your pregnancy will be fabulous! Hygiene is something that must be considered a priority during pregnancy, without any excuses. Even slightest of infection can make you gulp tablets and it might increase the risk for your child to be. Hygiene during pregnancy is a must, especially when you have a past health record of being prone to minor infections.
Worry not, because here we will take you through all the possible health and hygiene tips that must be taken care of during pregnancy. We will let you know different ways in which you can maintain a proper hygiene during pregnancy by adopting simple healthy habits.
Table Of Contents
What Is Hygiene During Pregnancy?
Let’s cut the extras, and be on point. Hygiene in pregnancy is all about maintaining a proper body, hair, skin, and intimate care by using optimal products and avoiding any kind of harsh chemicals. It includes taking care of your food, clothes, medicines, and also intimate wash. By adopting certain healthy habits and being careful about personal hygiene, you can smoothly tackle the problems related to hygiene in pregnancy.
Why Is Hygiene In Pregnancy Important?
Hygiene during pregnancy is not a practice, but a necessity during pregnancy because it can save you as well as your child from being vulnerable to any kind of infection. As a mom to be, you must be aware of all the health and hygiene tips that fall under pregnancy care. Continuous and long time exposure to toxins will lead to malformations and it might also invite teratogenic effects.
Early Pregnancy Care For Hair And Skin
With an over production of hormones, you skin and scalp get really oily during pregnancy period. And the condition is worse if you have an already oil loaded skin. Well, don’t worry because here are some good hygiene practices for your skin and hair during pregnancy. Have a look!
‣ Use products such as shampoo and soaps which contain maximum of natural products. Harsh chemicals are the last thing that you must be exposing your skin to, during pregnancy.
‣ Try using warm water for washing your face. We understand it’s hectic to boil it everytime but these practices of personal hygiene during pregnancy will help you get through the rashes.
‣ Don’t stay in the bathtub or expose your skin to water for too long. Also, don’t use any spirit containing cologne.
‣ Try to use natural scrub such as besan or rice powder instead of any chemical rich products.
‣ Apply proper lotions on your skin during rashes immediately after you take bath.
Oral Health And Hygiene During Pregnancy
Oral and dental hygiene during pregnancy is a matter of concerned. It is compromised to a greater extent due to morning sickness and other hormonal changes. We have seen many women worrying about health and hygiene tips during pregnancy for their oral care. Let’s explore them!
‣ Don’t forget to brush your teeth twice on daily basis. If morning sickness prevents you from doing so, we would suggest you to stick to a mild toothpaste which has a normal flavour.
‣ Swollen gums during pregnancy or gingivitis is one of the most common issues that pregnant women come across. Wash your oral cavity with anti-inflammatory mouth wash to avoid increase in such problems.
‣ Massage your gums if possible with suitable gel or solution, as prescribed by your dentist.
‣ If you have a decayed tooth, then don’t go for any anaesthesia or x-ray without consulting your doctor. Dental care during pregnancy should not always be restricted to pregnancy symptoms.
‣ Avoid chlorinated water because your gums are already going through thick and thins, and you don’t want to loosen the grip of your teeth. If not, these may recur as problems after the age of 40 years.
‣ Take extra care of dental hygiene in pregnancy when you eat sweets such as caramel or anything sticky.
Clothing Care During Pregnancy
Little did you know that personal hygiene during pregnancy also depends on type of clothing you choose. Interesting right? You will be amazed to know how these clothing practices can affect your hygiene during pregnancy. Here are some of the tips to follow!
‣ Avoid warm colours during pregnancy especially if you are located in tropical area. The excess of sweat will not only disrupt the flora of your skin but will also increase the temperature of your body. Hyperthermia is something that will pose complications during your pregnancy.
‣ Go for soft, comfortable, and loose fabrics because a feeling of uneasiness never really leaves you during pregnancy.
‣ Change your clothes and wash them with anti-bacterial detergent. Do not keep it pending for too long and repeat without washing.
‣ Prefer light coloured, loose cotton clothes because it will absorb all the sweat and keep you comfortable. Sweat, warm temperature, and tight clothes act as an incubator for bacteria and help them grow, thereby causing infections.
Good Personal Hygiene Practices During Pregnancy
Personal hygiene in pregnancy is the first thing you must look after when we talk of early pregnancy care. It has a lot to do with health quotient of the mother. Here are some health and hygiene tips that can keep your personal hygiene up to date without any hustle.
‣ First of all, you must grab cotton underwear which is comfortable and not very harsh on your skin. Wash them on daily basis, and if there is any vaginal discharge then change it immediately.
‣ Use loose padded bras which can absorb if there is any leakage of colostrums from your nipples. It will prevent the risk of infection.
‣ Remove the pubic hair without fail in order to keep the area clean as well as dry. Don’t forget to use specialized products like clean and dry intimate wash. It promises to maintain the pH of the area without infusing any harsh chemicals to the same.
‣ Hygiene in pregnancy has a lot to do with your hands, because the bacteria entering your gut can be more harmful to your system and can easily dwindle the balance. Always carry a sanitizer and use it on your hands properly before you eat.
‣ Take extra care of cleanliness when you go to public toilets. To be very honest, an open field with dried leaves and grasses have less bacteria as compared to a toilet which hasn’t been cleaned properly. Sounds absurd but you must keep this in mind and stop compromising your genital health, especially during pregnancy.
Some Bonus Tips For Pregnancy Care
Apart from discussing hygiene in pregnancy, here are some bonus health tips for pregnant ladies who want to stay active and safe throughout the period.
‣ Follow a good exercise routine that not only keeps you fit as well as active, but also prevents the accumulation of cholesterol during pregnancy.
‣ Keep a list of emergency contacts, medicines, and doctor’s address handy so that you are not deprived of any expert care during pregnancy.
‣ Watch your diet and have anything which is prescribed for your condition during pregnancy. Take into account all the complications and allergies you have and then decide on consuming anything.
‣ Avoid eating leftovers of previous day. Go for a fresh soup rather than yesterday’s pizza!
‣ Get rubber pads on bathroom to avoid slipping. Use slipper that have good grip and are soft enough to accommodate your swollen legs.
Thus, in the light of all the aforesaid facts about hygiene in pregnancy and all the health and hygiene tips, we can conclude that it is an indelible part of your daily routine during pregnancy. Be it food safety or personal hygiene in pregnancy, it should not be taken lightly at any cost.
Make sure you adopt these useful practices and come out as a good mommy. We would love to hear anything that you have to share about maintaining hygiene in pregnancy. Let all our future mommies know about your experience and help them deliver the baby safely without any complications!