Seeing flakes or dandruff on your baby’s delicate scalp is never a pleasant sight. It is very rare among babies but it is not unheard of. This is either due to overproduction of sebum or due to the growth of a fungus called Malassezia. This will cause the skin cells to shed which results in a dry, flaky and itchy scalp.
It’s also important that you know for sure it’s dandruff because eczema, cradle cap, sunburn and even excess shampoo is known to show up on your baby’s scalp in the same way.
Once you’re sure it’s dandruff, here’s what you can do to get rid of it.
1. Before shampooing, brush your baby’s hair to remove all of the visible flakes and dandruff.
2. If your baby has mild dandruff, then you can use a gentle baby shampoo to wash your baby’s hair every day. Most of the dandruff will be gone this way.
3. The way you shampoo your little one’s hair also does a lot towards getting rid of dandruff. Take the appropriate amount of shampoo (A small dollop would suffice) and gently massage all over the scalp until you build up a good lather. Then rinse thoroughly with warm water and repeat only if necessary.
4. Since it’s the oil-build up that’s responsible for dandruff, it’s important that you keep your baby’s scalp oil-free and maintain the pH level. So opt for a shampoo that promises to do all of these.
5. After washing your child’s hair, pat dry gently with a dry towel. Preferably use a new towel every time instead of sharing the same one with the whole family.
6. If your baby has severe dandruff, then you will have to consult with your doctor. You will have to use the shampoo and the anti-fungal cream/lotion that is prescribed by your doctor.
Dandruff is a very common issue that is faced by a majority of adults and teenagers but you’ll have to be extra-careful when it’s your baby in the hot seat. So apart from waiting for it to reduce on its own (which it probably will), it’s better you seek out your doctor’s help and get it cured before it becomes too out of hand.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!