Have you noticed your child spitting up after meals? This is common among toddlers and is called acid reflux. The process is caused by the upward movement of stomach content, including acid into the esophagus, and into the mouth, that causes spitting or vomiting. If the vomiting continues you need to consult a doctor. Acid refluxes are a discomfort to your baby and is often channeled into constant crying and mood swings.
These are a few ways you can treat acid reflux:
1. Feeding your baby regularly but reducing the quantity of intake can help reduce the chance of acid reflux.
2. Ensure that you frequently help your baby burp, as these burps help release the pressure in the baby’s stomach thereby soothing the stomach. Regular burps help avoid acid refluxes.
3. Ensure that the mattress you put your baby to sleep on is firm. It is vital that you take your time while choosing a mattress for your baby, as it can play a major role in your baby’s health. A firm mattress (not hard) also reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
4. While putting your baby to sleep make sure that you put them to sleep on their back. A doctor would advise you to put your baby to sleep on the back as an ideal position, because sleeping on the back reduces the cause of an acid reflux, as body weight is not pressing on the stomach.
5. Keep your child upright for at least thirty minutes after feeding. This gives your child enough time to digest the intake before taking a nap.
6. Keep your child's head at an elevation. This is another position that reduces the probability of an acid reflux.
7. Gripe water is said to heal acid reflux but that is if you are following the above treatments as well. Consult a doctor before you try this remedy.
Acid reflux is very common in toddlers, and following the above treatments will get rid of it. All of the above treatments are for mild acid reflux. Constant vomiting and discomfort needs the attention of a doctor.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!