Healthy Desserts To Beat Pregnancy Cravings
Seldom you will come across a pregnant woman who does not crave for certain foods during the pregnancy period. Be it early morning, afternoon or midnight, a pregnant woman needs no special occasion or time for these cravings. From snacks and spicy foods to lip smacking cuisines and irresistible desserts, the list never ends.
Desserts and sweets occupy a special place in a woman's life during pregnancy. With all the stress and health complications, desserts come as a much-needed mood enhancer. With desserts around, a pregnant woman feels a lot more cheerful and stress-free. However, satisfying your taste buds can prove to be a weighty affair. The extra kilos will definitely be around to haunt you. Do not lose sleep over this. There are some amazing dessert recipes available to keep your taste buds happy and body healthy.
These healthy desserts are a must try for every pregnant woman with a sweet tooth.
1. A Custard To Die For
Sweet potato custard is an ideal dessert during pregnancy. To prepare this mouthwatering dessert, you will need:
1. Boiled and mashed sweet potato (1-2)
2. Maple syrup or brown sugar
3. Skimmed milk (boiled to half the original quantity)
4. Egg yolk (~2, well beaten)
5. Raisins and cinnamon
6. Cooking spray
1. Add the mashed sweet potato and skimmed milk in a bowl and mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks, maple syrup (1-2 teaspoon), raisins, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mix the ingredients well.
3. Transfer the mixture to the bowl containing sweet potato and milk. Mix it well.
4. Transfer the mixture to a baking tray (sprayed with cooking spray).
5. Bake at 325 F for approximately 35-40 minutes.
6. Chill the custard (optional).
7. A tasty custard is ready to be served.
Vitamins (A, C, niacin, B1, B2, and B6), pantothenic acid, dietary fibre, potassium, copper, phosphorous, manganese, a sweet potato is full of essential nutrients.
2. Dark Chocolates
Nothing can satisfy your cravings for sweets better than dark chocolates. When consumed in moderation, the dark chocolates can keep your mood, taste buds and body happy.
Dark chocolates can help to prevent preeclampsia.
1. Flavonoids and antioxidants in dark chocolate give a much-needed boost to your immune system.
2. Believe it or not, dark chocolates can help in better weight management.
3. Ice Creams With A Twist
Pregnant women cannot help but salivate over ice creams. However, a little modification can still be a tasty option.You will need:
1. Blackberries, blueberries (preferably organic), strawberries (doctor recommended)
2. Yogurt3. Ice cream and dry fruits
1. Take the berries and yogurt in a bowl and blend them well.
2. Pour the mixture in ice cream moulds and freeze it (4-5 hours).
3. Transfer the frozen delight to ice cream bowls and garnish it with half a scoop of ice cream and dry fruits.
4. For better digestion, consume this during the day.
Berries (blue and blackberries) are rich in folic acid and vitamin C.
4. A Healthy Yet Tasty Smoothie
For pregnant women, who lives by smoothies, this healthy recipe is worth giving a try. You will need:
1. 1/2 cup frozen yogurt (low fat, plain or flavoured)
2. Banana (medium size, peeled)
3. Vanilla soy milk (1/2 cup)
4. Dry fruits
1. Transfer all the ingredients to a blender and mix well.
2. Add ice cubes (2-3).
3. Garnish the smoothie with dry fruits.
Soy milk is a rich source of proteins, iron, Vitamins (B12, riboflavin) and calcium. Banana is full of all the essential vitamins and minerals.
5. Choco-Banana Delight
Banana with Dark chocolates can be an amazingly tasty delight. You will need:
1. Banana (1-2, peeled).
2. Dark chocolates (melted)
3. Maple syrup (1 teaspoon, optional)
4. Peanuts (crushed)
1. Take a medium-sized banana into a bowl.
2. Add a teaspoon of maple syrup (optional).
3. To this, add the melted dark chocolates in moderate amounts.
4. Roll the mixture over crushed peanuts.
5. Freeze for 4-5 hours.
An irresistible dessert indeed!
6. A Mousse For The Heart
Avocado mousse can be a blessing for pregnant women who crave for desserts. You will need:
1. Cocoa powder (1/3 cup, unsweetened)
2. Avocados (~2, the fleshy part)
3. A pinch of salt (preferably, sea salt)
4. A teaspoon each of chocolate extract and orange zest (optional)
5. A ripe banana
6. Coconut milk and maple syrup (1/4 cup each)
1. Transfer all the ingredients to a blender.
2. Blend till you get the desired consistency.
3. Your mousse is ready to be served.
4. You can also have it chilled.
Low in calories, avocados are full of the essential vitamins and minerals.
7. A chocolaty tongue twister
It is a must try dessert for pregnant women.You will need:
1. Chocolate syrup (1-2 teaspoon, dark chocolates)
2. Milk (skimmed, low fat, 1/2 a glass)
3. A mashed apple
4. Ice cubes
5. Dry fruits
1. Except for the chocolate syrup, transfer the other ingredients to a food processor and blend thoroughly.
2. Pour into a glass, and add a teaspoon of chocolate syrup.
3. Garnish with dry fruits.
From antioxidants to vitamins and minerals, apple has immense health benefits. With the addition of milk and dry fruits, you can be rest assured that this oh-so-delicious dessert is packed with nutrients.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.