Everyone is living a busy life. Thus exhaustion along with fatigue appears as daily problems which often affect our bust schedule. But it can also be caused due to a deficiency of the mineral, iron. Iron health benefits are numerous. It is required by our body in order to perform its everyday activities. The function of iron in the body includes protein metabolization along with haemoglobin, red blood cells and enzyme production. It is one such mineral that is supplemented mainly through diet. Consumption of iron rich foods is also essential for healthy skin, hair as well as nails apart from other health benefits. In this article along with 12 amazing health benefits of iron, we have discussed the iron deficiency symptoms as well as sources of iron.
Table Of Contents:
Why Is Iron Intake Important?
Proper growth of a human body along with maintenance of good health is directly related to iron health benefits. Iron is considered to be a crucial protein component that aids in metabolism. Moreover, the human body requires foods that contain iron in order to stimulate the production of red blood cells. 25% of iron can be preserved by any human body for further use in future mostly in case of insufficient dietary intake and it is thus a backup for decreasing the impact of anaemia if the intake is suddenly declined. The role and importance of iron cannot be neglected, primarily as its deficiency is troublesome as well as dangerous.
Does Iron Deficiency Have Any Symptoms?
Severe fatigue, weakness of the body as well as various health ailments may occur due to iron deficiency. People lacking this mineral will not be able to able any normal functions in a proper way. It has also been proved that more than men, women along with children requires to include more iron rich diet as anaemia affect them the most. Severe iron deficiency symptoms such as progressive ailment of the skin that results in nail brittleness as well as extra smoothness in tongue area are also very common. Each and every enzymatic process that involves iron as well as protein will not take place. Body metabolism can become slow or may even stop.
[Read more: Iron Deficiency - Causes, Symptoms And Treatment]
What Are The Vital Sources Of Iron?
Vegetarian, as well as non-vegetarian foods, contain iron. Legumes, green leafy vegetables, lentils, whole grains, spinach, soybeans along with cereals and broccoli are the iron rich vegetables with a great content of the mineral. Other iron rich Indian foods are chicken, eggs, chicken liver as well as seafood. Sources of iron are also found in iron tablets as well as supplements and doctors prescribe them to those people who suffer from anaemia. Foods that are rich in Vitamin C content also helps in iron absorption by the body. Citrus foods along with orange juices also promote absorption of iron.
12 Health Benefits Of Iron
Iron is included in a balanced diet is ideal for providing various health benefits. Foods high in iron content when consumed benefits human health in the following ways mentioned below:
1. Formation Of Haemoglobin: Haemoglobin formation is the main function of iron. It also helps in oxygen transportation to the body cells. Moreover, due to injuries, human beings are seen to lose blood and women due to menstruation lose blood every month and hence they are prone to anaemia. Hence haemoglobin is essential and this iron health benefits should be considered.
2. Regulates The Body Temperature: Regulation of normal body temperature is facilitated by iron. Depending on the absorption capacity of an individual’s body, it regulates the body temperature. Intake of foods with iron encourages an optimal environment to perform enzymatic as well as metabolic function by maintaining a normal temperature.
3. Helps Muscle Function: Muscle health is dependent on iron intake. Iron is present in the tissues of the muscle and iron health benefits by aiding in oxygen supply that is essential for muscle contraction. Without iron, muscle tone, as well as elasticity, is lost. Muscle weakness is one of the most common symptoms of anaemia.
4. Enhances Immunity: Iron plays a vital role in adding strength to the immune system. Hence the body becomes strong to fight against various diseases as well as infections. Damaged tissues, cells along with organs are provided with oxygen by the red blood cells. So without iron, haemoglobin formation would not take place and without the presence of haemoglobin, oxygen would not be present. The process of healing requires this essential nutrient and thus foods containing a rich source of iron should be taken daily.
5. Contributes To Brain Function: Brain health along with proper functioning is related to iron. Brain utilizes a certain percentage of the total blood oxygen which is supplied by iron. Proper flow of blood and supply of oxygen in the brain helps in stimulating cognitive activity and prevents cognitive disorders.
6. Treating Anaemia: A severe disorder known as anaemia occurs as a result of blood loss or iron deficiency. Iron deficiency anaemia treatment can be promoted by having foods containing iron. It is very beneficial in the treatment of anaemia. Post pregnancy women’s iron intake is increased to compensate for any blood loss.
7. Curing Insomnia: It has been proved that iron health benefits improve the habit of sleeping in those people who suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia. Fluctuation of blood pressure that keeps people awake during the night is reduced by iron.
8. Treating Fatigue: Iron supplementation provides required cure in case of chronic or unknown fatigue. Fatigue may occur because of oxygen deficiency. Low level of haemoglobin in the red blood cells causes a deficiency of oxygen.
9. Improving Concentration: Iron benefits human beings by facilitating an increase in their concentration as well as cognitive abilities by increasing oxygen supply to the brain. Children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder can also be effectively treated by providing them with iron rich fruits.
10. Metabolism Of Energy: Iron plays a major role in the metabolism of energy. Due to the presence of substances like catalases as well as cytochromes iron acts as the main components enzymatic systems.
11. Synthesis Of Various Neurotransmitters: Iron is known as one of the key factors that aid in the synthesis of various essential neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are vital in signal transmission required for carrying out numerous activities that involve neurons as well as the brain.
12. Provides Relief From Restless Leg Syndrome: Other than muscle weakness and spasms, restless leg syndrome is caused by low levels of iron. Proper intake of iron rich foods vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian aids in curing such condition.
Generally, by including an optimum quantity of iron rich foods in your diet, you can fulfil the daily requirement of iron in your body. Iron supplements are recommended if symptoms of anaemia, dizziness, fast heartbeat, as well as shortness of breath, occur. Either way, make sure to take advantage of as much iron health benefits as you can, to keep your body functions running properly and keep yourself healthy.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!