Eat breakfast like a king, they say. So why limit yourself to just one type of breakfast? Join our quest to bring new and exciting dishes to your breakfast table starting with sweet potato and black beans burritos.
- 6 pieces of low-carb whole wheat tortillas
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 can of rinsed and drained black beans (15 ounces)
- ¼ tsp of chili powder
- ¼ tsp of cumin
- A few dashes red chili flakes (optional)
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 diced avocado
- 1/3 cup of red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup of reduced fat shredded Mexican or Colby jack cheese
1. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them in a microwave and microwave them on high setting for 4-6 minutes or more depending upon the size and thickness of the sweet potatoes. Alternatively, you can also roast the potatoes for 45 minutes at 400 degrees in an oven.
2. Once cooked, remove the skin and mash the potatoes with a fork in a bowl, and set aside.
3. Add black beans, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes in a separate large bowl. Stir to mix well and combine them, then set aside.
4. In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites together. Spray some nonstick cooking spray on a skillet and place it over medium-low heat. Add the egg whites to it and cook. Fold frequently every few minutes to get fluffy eggs. Remove from the heat once cooked.
5. Make sure to have warm tortillas, to assemble burritos, as it is easier to roll them. You can do this by warming them up in a microwave for 10 to 20 seconds.
6. Lay out the warm tortillas and spread and distribute the mashed sweet potatoes on each tortilla. Evenly distribute diced avocado, egg whites, shredded cheese, and black beans on each piece. Drizzle about 1 tbsp of enchilada sauce on each of the tortillas. If desired, season with salt and pepper.
7. Tuck the ends of tortillas in and roll up the burritos. Place them on a baking sheet in an oven for 5-10 minutes at 300 degrees. Serve with salsa, hot sauce, Greek yogurt, or sour cream.