The arrival of a newborn brings immense joy to the family. As a parent, your baby’s health and happiness are your priorities. It can often be quite difficult for you to see your baby cry. It becomes even more worrisome when the baby cries constantly or intensely.
Why Does Your Baby Cry Intensely?
Babies tend to cry for an average of 1 to 3 hours in a day in the first 3 to 4 months of their life. They may cry when they are hungry, tired, bored, sleepy, or in need of a diaper change But if your baby cries more than normal, in a day, it could be because of colic.
What is Colic?
Colic is the abdominal pain experienced by newborns in the first few months of their life.
What are the Causes and Symptoms of Colic?
Unlike adults, newborns have an immature digestive system that is less efficient in digesting food, which causes symptoms like vomiting and abdominal pain due to trapped gas. Colicky babies tend to cry in a louder and shriller voice, and may even sound like they are screaming.
How can Colic be Diagnosed?
Doctors use the “rule of 3” to diagnose colic:
(1) whether the baby cries for less than 3 hours a day;
(2) whether this occurs less than 3 days a week; and
(3) whether this lasts for over 3 weeks.
How can Colic be Prevented?
Colic usually decreases once the baby becomes 3 to 4 months old. There are no hard and fast rules to treat colic, but the following tips have proven to help in most cases:
- If you are breastfeeding, pay attention to foods you consume but your baby is sensitive to, for example, coffee, dairy products, or other allergenic foods.
- Try to follow a breastfeeding schedule, as it gives your baby time for digestion between feedings.
- Burp your baby after feedings, as this helps avoid retention of gas, which causes abdominal pain and discomfort.
- Keeping your baby comfortable with appropriate clothes and diapers; wrapping in a swaddle; avoiding noise and overstimulation (bright lights, sudden movements, or distractions around the baby) also help keep your baby calm and reduce the chances of crying.
Overall, the best way to avoid colic in your baby is with a healthy digestive tract. Herbal ingredients like Dill oil and Indian Gooseberry can help combat gastrointestinal disorders and prevent colic, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.
Bonnisan, from the Himalaya Drug Company, comprises these herbal ingredients that help remove trapped gas and prevent colic in your little one by keeping the digestive system healthy. It also helps improve their appetite and acts as a supplement to improve overall health.
Disclaimer: The above information is not to be used as medical advice.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.