This crunchy and rich fudge will give you the chocolate fix you need.
- 2 cups of packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup of half-and-half
- 7 tbsp. of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ tsp. of kosher salt
- 1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups of cornflakes
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. (4 ounces) of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Flaked sea salt
1. Take a medium saucepan that is heavy-bottomed and add to it the sugar, salt, half-and-half, and 4 tbsp. of butter. Warm the mixture over medium heat with occasional stirring for 4 to 5 minutes, until the sugar melts and is no longer sandy.
2. Place a thermometer in the pan, and boil the ingredients gently without stirring for until the temperature of the mixture reaches 235 degrees Fahrenheit, for 10 to 12 minutes.
3. In the meanwhile, take an 8-inch square pan and line it with the nonstick foil, leaving an overhang of 2-inch on each side.
4. Pour the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer and stir in the vanilla. Operate the mixer on low speed and beat the confectioners’ sugar gradually for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mixture becomes smooth and lighter in colour. Then spread the mixture in the pan prepared in step 3.
5. Microwave the chocolate and the remaining 3 tbsp. of butter, in a large bowl. Keep stirring every 30 seconds, until the mixture is smooth and melted. Add the cornflakes and fold gently until evenly coated. Spoon on top of the fudge, then, if desired, sprinkle flaked salt.
6. Put the pan in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to five days, until they are firm. Use the overhangs to lift the fudge and cut it into 1-inch pieces, and serve.