Young children are not only growing physically during early childhood, but they are also growing mentally. Cognitive skills are the skills the brain uses to think, learn, read, remember, pay attention, and solve problems. They are also the skills that are measured to determine IQ. Everyone has some skills that are stronger than others. From birth, babies begin to actively learn. They gather, sort, and process information from around them, using the data to develop perception and thinking skills.
Cognitive development refers to how a person perceives, thinks, and gains an understanding of his or her world through the interaction of genetic and learned factors. The good news is that cognitive skills are not permanent. If weak skills are identified, they can be improved through cognitive training, often called brain training. Brain training uses fun, challenging mental exercises to target and improve weak cognitive skills.
Cognitive skill development in children involves the progressive building of learning skills, such as attention, memory and thinking. These crucial skills enable children to process sensory information and eventually learn to evaluate, analyze, remember, make comparisons and understand cause and effect. Some cognitive skills are attained genetically, but most cognitive skills are learned. That means thinking and learning skills can be improved with practice and the right training.
Some of the skills involve
1) Attention: Allows you to focus on the activity you are doing for a required amount of time.
2) Memory: This skill allows you to remember the details of the past events.
3) Thinking: The requirement of coming up with different thoughts to tackle the situation is one of the skills.
4) Logic and Reasoning: Logic and reasoning enables you to reason, form ideas, and solve problems.
5) Visual Processing: It is to understand what you’ve just read, remembering what you’ve read, following directions, reading maps, doing word math problems.
To improve the learning phase you can do these 8 activities along with your child
1) Sing-a-longs: Sing songs with your child and encourage him to sing along with you.
2) Identify Noises: Have your child identify noises that he hears throughout the day, this will improve the listening skills.
3) Practice the Alphabet: Playing with alphabet puzzles and singing along the alphabet song will be useful .
4) Practice Counting: Making your child count things, make him count anything related to the objects.
5) Practice Shapes and Colours: Teaching the child different colours and shapes related to any object will improve the cognitive skills.
6) Offer Choices: Making your child decide things when offered with different choices will help develop the decision making skills .
7) Ask Questions: Making children answer questions will help in logical reasoning .
8) Visit Interesting Places: Take your children out for any interesting activities where they can learn and understand new things .
Dear Mommy! We have some good news for you...
A big HELLO from the folks here at Tinystep Bangalore Office. We want to tell you once again that we LOVE you. For the last 3 years we have enjoyed writing for you and we think now we are ready to do a little more. We all know how chemical toxins in our daily products are slowly killing us. Therefore we are now on a mission to #DetoxYourHome and help you get #BackToHealthy.
Good news is… we are launching a whole range of completely natural and safe homecare products viz. Mosquito vaporizers, Dish cleaners, Hand sanitizers. Our first product is already out and it’s a natural floor cleaner. It’s made of food grade ingredients and acts as a NATURAL DETOX for your home. Use it and feel the difference. So far 25000+ moms have used it and they LOVE it. You can check it out here.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!