The babies develop rapidly each month. To rally round in such development, the parents should offer stimulation to the baby by actively involving in the playtime. The Playtime doesn’t necessarily mean with the toys, it could be anything from singing a song for your baby, talking, cooing, making a silly face, tickling your baby or smiling. It is about back-and-forth interactions. It is the great way to boost the brain development of the baby, to have an everlasting parent-baby bonding and also improve social interaction skill of your baby.
Benefits of Playtime:
• Cognitive Development:
Playtime could make your baby understand the cause and effect concept, could stimulate his emerging curiosity and encourage him to explore the surroundings. This will boost the confidence of your baby, improve his problem-solving skills, memory, and decision-making.
• Physical Development:
Playtime encourages your baby to do the body movements such as kicking, grabbing his feet, wriggling. This helps in strengthening the muscles of your baby and improving the coordination between the body parts.
• Emotional and Social Development:
The favorite playmates of the baby are parents. Spending time with your baby by playing with him could strengthen the bond between you and your baby. This could make your baby a confident human being in future and also, this encourages him to develop social interaction skills.
• Sensory Development:
Playtime encourages your child to develop all five senses: Touch, smell, hear, taste and sight – either by touching, grasping, shaking, listening, looking or mouthing.
• Communication skills:
Playtime could be singing a song or reading to your baby too. This develops language skill in your baby and encourages in communicating.
How to help in baby development during playtime:
• Nappy-change time could be used to describe what you are doing and why you are doing. Let him explore and feel the different textures by touching cotton wool, wet wipes, and clean nappies.
• During bath-time, encourage your baby to learn about sinking and floating, wet and dry, warm and cold. Also, let your baby learn about how water flows between objects. Let him explore this by himself using cups, sponges, and bottles.
• Aim to offer at least three sessions of tummy-time every day for your baby. In the beginning, keep the tummy-time short as all the babies don’t enjoy it. Gradually you could lengthen the sessions.
• Offer different things that could interest her to look and touch when your baby is lying in her cot or play mat.
• Make her lie-down in different spots in the house. This gives him different views to keep himself engaged.
• Keep chatting with your baby even if your baby doesn’t respond to you. Gradually, they learn to respond to what you are saying to them. Keep telling him what you are doing and how you are doing, or explain the things in his surroundings. If you find your baby is interested in something, explain it to him. This encourages her to explore more.
• To strengthen emotional bond with your baby, stroke and make eye contact with your baby while he is enjoying his milk.
• Once your baby starts weaning, explain about the tastes and textures of different foods. Encourage him to explore it by touching and putting it in his mouth by himself.
• Offer a wide variety of toys and encourage your baby to explore them in different ways such as touching, shaking, stroking and banging them. Congratulate him when he manages to achieve something. This will build his confidence.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!