Lactating mothers are very conscious about the food they take because it is what you eat that gets passed out to your little one. What to eat and what not to eat always leave a lactating woman perplexed and this confusion follows food cravings! Having tangy foods such as apple cider vinegar during breastfeeding is absolutely safe. This blog discusses the common concerns of breastfeeding moms such as - if you can have apple cider vinegar when breastfeeding, can apple cider vinegar affect breast milk or apple cider vinegar effects on baby etc.
Table Of Contents:
What Is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is a tangy liquid prepared by fermenting the apples which thus gets converted into alcohol and later into acetic acid. Acetic acid is also called Vinegar which has a pungent smell and a tangy taste. This drink has many health benefits but as a lactating mother, can you drink apple cider vinegar?
Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
Apple Cider Vinegar has recently gained a lot of popularity from the consumers due to its weight loss benefits. Apple Cider Vinegar can be used on salads, marinades and chutneys. It is important that you must dilute the apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding in the ratio of 1:10. Despite multiple health benefits, can nursing mothers drink apple cider vinegar? The diet of a lactating mother is very crucial as it is the only food given to the newborn thus governing his/her health.
Some of the important health benefits of apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding are:
1. Curbs Acidity: Apple cider vinegar can reduce the acidity reflux in the stomach, which is a common problem faced by the women post-delivery. The diet for lactating mothers must be carefully selected so that it can relax the excessive gas formation and bloating in their stomach.
2. Boosts Energy: Consuming little amount of apple cider vinegar while breastfeed can boost your energy. Post-delivery, every woman feels exhausted which is taken away by this powerful liquid as it contains good amounts of Potassium and amino acids.
3. Reduces Weight: We all know that weight gain is unavoidable while breastfeeding, hence consuming apple cider vinegar may help you in shedding away some inches!
4. Boost Metabolism: While breastfeeding, it is important that the metabolism of the body is kept right and apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding can help you in maintaining the right metabolism of the body.
5. Detoxification Of The Body: It is important that the body must detoxify itself time to time so that the body can function better, thus digesting and assimilating the food better than before thereby boosting the metabolism of the body.
[Read more: 10 Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Benefit You]
Can I Drink Apple Cider Vinegar While Breastfeeding?
Women who want to include apple cider vinegar during breastfeeding must only pick up pasteurized bottles so that the liquid doesn’t have any harmful bacteria such as E.coli, Salmonella otherwise apple cider vinegar can affect the breast milk and cause severe bacterial infections in the baby. Pasteurization process destroys all these harmful bacteria as this process is conducted at a higher temperature. The following are the ways where you can consume ACV:
1. Salad Dressings: Add 1:4:1 ratio of ACV, lemon juice and olive oil to your salad along with salt and roasted cumin powder (jeera powder)
2. Along With Honey: Mix honey, ACV and lemon juice together in the same quantities to drink it up. Make sure you do not over consume ACV.
3. Drink It With Green Tea: Add ½ teaspoon of ACV to green tea along with a dash of cinnamon to get maximum benefit out of green tea. Cinnamon can help in extracting larger amounts of antioxidants from the green tea.
[A] Precautions To Be Taken:
The diet for lactating mothers must be once consulted with doctors or nutritionist so that it should not have any side effects on the baby’s health. Following list is about the precautions that the women must be taken while consuming apple cider vinegar when breastfeeding:
‣ Seek doctor’s advice before consuming apple cider vinegar
‣ Do not drink concentrated apple cider vinegar; always dilute it with water in the ratio of 1:10
‣ Make sure that apple cider vinegar is free from any kind of bacterial residue. This can be known through the certifications
‣ Only use pasteurized apple cider vinegar while breastfeeding
‣ Make sure to go through the labels of the apple cider vinegar thoroughly before making a purchase
[B] Side Effects Of Consuming Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar has many health benefits for the lactating mothers but if consumed in excessive amounts, it can cause some side effects too.
‣ Causes Dental Issues: Apple cider vinegar is a strong drink which can damage your teeth and irritate gums. Hence, always dilute it in water and rinse your mouth properly after consuming it.
‣ Can Decrease The Potassium Levels: Apple cider vinegar can drastically reduce the potassium level in the body during breastfeeding, hence it can sometimes raise your blood pressure and it can also lower the bone density.
‣ Skin Rashes: Apple cider vinegar during breastfeeding can cause skin rashes and irritation.
Apple Cider Vinegar Effects On Baby
Apple cider vinegar does not have any negative effect on the baby. In fact, it provides health benefits to the children. Apple Cider Vinegar has been beneficial in treating eczema, an inflammatory skin disease seen in children.
Topically apply apple cider vinegar by diluting it in 1:7 ratio with water through a clean cotton swab. Initially, it may cause irritation but you will notice the skin healing in a few days. You can also add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in water in the bathtub and keep the baby there for 15-20 minutes and later pat dry the baby with a dry towel.
Apple Cider Vinegar when breastfeeding is highly beneficial for curing the acidity, however, choosing a good pasteurized, bacteria-free apple cider vinegar is equally important. The diet for lactating mothers is very important as the infant is dependent on your breast milk for a year or two.