The biggest dilemma once you have had a child is whether to feed your baby breast milk or formula feed. Many moms aren’t comfortable with the idea of breastfeeding, so they prefer formula feeding instead. And then there are those who think there is no substitute for breastfeeding. Now whom do you follow?
Add to this the fact that some people are uncomfortable around women who breastfeed, and on the other hand, if you take out a baby feeding bottle, there are some who criticize you for it. This leads to only one thing - Mommy Guilt.
You just have to remember one thing - people are going to speak no matter what you do. So you might as well do what is best for you. And we’re gonna help you do just that! Here’s a look at both breastfeeding as compared to baby formula -
Many renowned institutions insist that breast milk is the best nutrition for infant. Doctors recommend that you breastfeed your baby exclusively with breastmilk for at least the first 6 months, and then slowly introduce other foods. Here are some benefits of breastfeeding:
1. It provides natural antibodies to your baby that fights infections.
2. It is usually easier to digest compared to formula. The chances are that your baby will be less constipated and gassy.
3. It lowers the risk of sudden infant death which can happen in the first year of your baby’s life.
4. It is known to reduce the risk of being overweight, developing asthma, diabetes and high cholesterol, Hodgkin's disease, leukemia, and lymphoma.
5. It is good for the moms who breastfeed too - they have a much reduced risk of diabetes, osteoporosis, ovarian and breast cancer.
Apart from this, breastfeeding is also a wonderful bonding exercise with your baby.
Formula feeding is another healthy alternative to breastfeeding. If you use a formula for your baby, chances are that s/he will get the best possible alternative to breastmilk. Here’s why formula milk also is good for babies:
1. Convenience. Anyone, anywhere can feed a baby with formula. Also, since formula is not digested as easily, you don’t have to feed your baby that often.
2. Flexible. You can feed a baby with feed any time of the day, and at work, or home or even for your babysitter.
3. Moms don’t have to worry about what to or what not to eat. Moms who breastfeed may have to avoid certain foods like the ones mentioned here.
But mommies, don’t you worry! Whichever way you decide to feed your baby, the most important thing to remember is that your baby’s health comes first! s/he needs to be well fed, loved and cared for. That’s all that matters in the end.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.