Barley is full of important vitamins and minerals like fibre, vitamin B, copper, magnesium and so on. But it can be difficult to incorporate barley into your baby's diet which is why I came up with a few barley dishes you could try. These are a few yummy recipes for your little one that includes Barley.
Barley Apple Porridge
- Pearl barley 1 cup
- Apple 1/2 chopped
1. First, cook barley by adding one cup of barley and 3 cups water in a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 whistles and then simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes.
2. Let the steam go all by itself and check if the barley is properly cooked.
3. Add the chopped apples, 1/2 cup of water and now cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Puree the mixture in a blender until it turns smooth.
5. Take the porridge into a bowl and feed your little one.
Barley and Potato Balls
- Soft cooked pearl barley 1 cup
- Applesauce 1/2 cup
- Sweet potato 1/2 finely chopped
- Pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger
1. You need to mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
2. Make small balls or create plops to make finger foods.
- 1/2 cup barley (jau), washed and drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green capsicum(optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped red capsicum(optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow capsicum(optional)
- 1/2 cup small broccoli florets
- Salt to taste
- 1 and a 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies(optional)
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Combine the barley and 1½ cups water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
4. When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
6. Add the all remaining vegetables and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Add the cooked barley, green chillies, little salt and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
We have a great opportunity for you. You can EARN up to Rs 10,000/- every month right in the comfort of your own HOME. Sounds interesting? Fill in this form and we will call you.