Who doesn’t desire long and beautiful hair? Unfortunately, not all of us are blessed with luscious locks and it can be a real pain to get your hair to grow quickly. That’s where your good friend, amla a.k.a Indian gooseberry, comes into the picture. Amla oil has been used for many centuries to get thicker, blacker and longer hair.
Amla contains vitamin C, tannins, antioxidants, kaempferol, flavonoids and gallic acid which work towards improving your hair texture and making it silky, shiny and strong. Let us look into what else amla has in store for your hair.
Benefits of Amla oil for hair:
1. Scalp massage with amla oil will improve blood circulation which is important to provide nourishment to your hair follicles and promote hair growth.
2. Amla oil will help balance out the pH of your scalp which is essential to ward off infections.
3. Using amla oil on your hair can help you curb excess oil production. It also helps in getting rid of dry flakes by dissolving the dirt and grease that is present in the hair follicles.
4. If you’re someone who is suffering from hair loss, amla oil can help increase the strength of the hair thereby, reducing the chances of breakage.
5. The antioxidants present in amla oil will fight off the damage causing radicals and keeps your hair healthy.
6. Regular usage of olive oil also helps get rid of split ends and protects your hair from further damage.
7. Amla oil helps get rid of dandruff on your scalp while still keeping it nourished and smooth.
Now that you know about the invaluable benefits of amla oil, the next question is -
How To Prepare Amla Oil?
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon of dried amla powder
- 5 tablespoons of coconut oil
1. Mix the amla powder and coconut oil in a stainless steel pan (You can also use dried whole amla if it is available to you).
2. Place the pan on the stove with the lowest heat setting and keep stirring it until it is completely dissolved and mixed together.
3. The oil will start turning brown and will emit a nice smell. You can turn off the stove at around 10 minutes when it starts to bubble up.
4. Cover the pan with a lid and allow it to cool for 24 hours.
5. Transfer the contents of the pan to a glass jar with a tight lid and it’s ready to be used.
If you want something that can be stored for longer periods of time, another method of preparing amla oil involves 120 gm of amla powder, 1 litre of water and 250 ml of coconut oil or sesame oil.
How to make:
1. Add around 100 gm of amla powder to a liter of water and boil the mixture until half the liquid gets evaporated. Strain to get concentrated amla mixture.
2. In a thick bottomed stainless steel pan, add this concentrated amla mixture, coconut oil and the remaining 20 gm of amla powder. Let it simmer on a low flame until all the water is evaporated and you’re left with only oil.
3. The result will a clear, yellowish coloured oil which can be stored and used at convenience.
How To Use Amla oil?
1. Heat up the oil using double boiler method or in the microwave for a few minutes.
2. Allow it to cool a little so that it doesn’t burn your scalp.
3. With the help of a comb, make partitions in your hair and apply the oil on the scalp.
4. Massage your scalp for a good 10 minutes before you move on to apply the oil all over your hair from the roots to your tips (This is very important if you have split-ends).
5. You can leave this oil on your hair for about an hour or two before rinsing your hair with a mild shampoo. For better results, you can also leave this oil overnight. You might be left with oil residue in your hair after the first wash, so, it is always better to wash your hair twice to be on the safer side.
6. For faster hair growth, use shikakai powder to wash the oil off your hair rather than a shampoo.
You can, of course, use the packaged amla oils available in the market but a homemade variant is a better substitute as it is free of preservatives and other harmful chemicals. You need to follow this procedure for 3 times in a week or anytime you wash your hair to see amazing results.
Amla can also be used in other forms such as paste, juice and powder if you prefer to use a hair pack instead of oiling your hair. You can add amla powder to your henna and apply it on your hair as a pack. It nourishes and colours your hair in one go. However, patience is key in making sure you get all the benefits of amla oil. You may not see a drastic change in your hair on the first try but after regular use of this oil, you will surely be amazed by the results.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!