There is no denying the fact that laptops, computers, smartphones and similar gadgets have made our lives a lot easier as well as hassle-free. From preparing a presentation to bill payments, things are just a click away - all thanks to the internet and the electronic gadgets. Today, children as small as 2-3 years can be seen playing with a smartphone, spending hours watching videos and cartoons. While this may keep the child happy and occupied, it may not be the best thing for the health of your child as well as yourself. You might want to start reducing the time your family spends in front of the screen.
Consequences of spending hours before the digital screen
Staring at the digital screen for hours not only spells doom for the eyes, but it also adversely affects the overall health of the individual. Here’s how your digital screens are affecting you:
1. Increased exposure to Radiation: The radiation from laptops and mobile phones can increase the risk of triggering cancer in individuals. So, it might be a good idea to protect yourself and your family from this by limiting exposure to the digital screen to an hour or two a day.
2. Stress: If you think scrolling through social media or surfing the internet helps you relax, you’re being fooled. As per various research and studies, increased use of the internet (especially social media) and electronic gadgets can leave you severely stressed out, fatigued as well as depressed. In children, the overexposure to gadgets can affect sleep quality and pose behavioural problems.
3. Sleep disorders: The incidences of Insomnia and Sleep Apnea are on a mercurial rise. For a healthy living, it is necessary to follow a healthy sleep cycle. On an average, an adult requires at least 6-8 hours of sound sleep daily. Yet - with the smartphones, tablets, and laptops around - many individuals (especially teenagers and young adults) hardly manage to get 3-4 hours of sleep daily. With continuous sleep deprivation, health problems including obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and heart ailments may also follow.
4. Takes a toll on relationships: The last decade or two has seen an unbelievable rise in break-ups, failed marriages and divorces. Couples often end up with compatibility issues. The solution to these problems lies in talking to each other. Yet, often, couples tend to be busy with gadgets - neglecting face-to-face and meaningful conversations. By limiting the digital screen time, you will not only be able to give time to your family but also strengthen the bond with your partner.
5. Your posture gets very bad: Spending the entire day glued to your phone or laptops is very unhealthy. In addition to lack of physical activities, this also affects posture - giving rise to pain (especially in the neck, shoulder and lower back region), problems of Spondylitis, Subluxation and a host of other postural defects.
Of course, most of our work is conducted today over laptops and smartphones - but it is important to disconnect from using screens when you are not at work and set some time aside when you can enjoy life without a screen. This also sets an example for your kids and allows you some time to talk to them face to face.
Have you tried to disconnect and spend some time offline? Didn’t it feel great?!
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!