Your baby goes through various speaking milestones from infancy to childhood. As they grow, learning and observation come hand in hand. This development depends on the degree of challenges in the environment in your child’s life. Read on about the 5 ways you can make your baby’s pronunciation better and correct from simple to mature!
1. Your contributions
Language starts to get grounded even at such a latent stage.
- In addition to what the teacher’s contribute - your part for your baby’s language development starts easily right from when they are an infant.
- Even though your baby may not understand everything - they do get enough frameworks to start understanding as quickly as the right times arrives.
In fact, a parental voice and attention is what babies look forward to more than even play time.
- When they are able to match the sounds they hear and have a very good percentage of your needed attention - their tendency to imitate becomes even more correct.
- If you follow a slow and systematic order - your part in baby’s verbal development becomes very important and effective.
2. Open opportunities
If your little one knows they have options and there is nothing ‘correct’ at first - their path of pronouncing correctly becomes very easily effective.
- You can read aloud or read with them. Try to make it an inclusive activity like listening to or reading together to even books that have CDs.
- That way, they not only know how they or you pronounce - but also how other people might pronounce.
- This way of showing inclusivity will let them know that they can pronounce as per their own abilities.
You also must let them know that they should never be shy to share any of their thoughts or imaginations out loud - no matter what they are.
- It could be personally with you or a friend they trust.
- Children must be encouraged for any way that they are saying and sounding out the words. You should remember that mistakes will help them learn in a better manner.
Also, try to give or seek explanation for things that you do or see them do.
- This encourages any form of conversation with two people that helps in creating pronunciation more strong in a lot of ways.
- In addition, not only will there be an important verbal growth - your little one might but also start learning about the differences among words.
3. Make a game out of it
This will help in creating a flow of information, sharing thoughts and imagination.
- When you are recognising anything with them or generally when doing any task at home/outside - sounding out and explaining whatever you are doing becomes very helpful for your child to make important sound connections.
Rhymes and songs are a good source because they are repetitive as well as easy to remember.
- In addition, they have a lesser focus on confusing writing and more on the effective of listening to sounds.
- Sometimes, even the movement of your lips without the sounds creates a curiosity for your child to imitate, write, draw and know more!
Tongue twisters like:
- ‘She sells seashells on the seashore’, ‘A big black bug bit a big black bear’ or ‘Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers’, help out in easing their vocal development which makes pronunciation of the language more correctly.
In any of these cases, flashcards become a very useful tool to utilise vision to understand the basics of sound.
[Read more about Teaching Kids How To Spell!]
4. No fears
Everyone sounds a particular way.
- There is no ‘right’ way to sound words. Your little ones should know there is only a certain way to pronounce or say the word.
- This is also a time to experiment and learn as a growing child. So, making mistakes is always a learning experience and nothing to be ashamed about.
5. Children call the shots
Your child should make the choice of what to do, how to do it and how long to do it.
- This is a process that should be slow enough according to their comfort.
- As always, patience is a big factor from your part because anything at anytime will make the learning more of an actual effect and less of a burden.
- Sometimes, even re reading is completely normal for your child as favourites are even better reinforcements.
- All in all, continuous practice and your companionship are the perfect support for good pronunciation.
You as a parent are always going to want to help make their world more simple and understandable for your child. These can help you make the process even more fun and exciting - so go ahead and pronounce away!
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!