Link copied!
Sign in / Sign up

5 Choking Hazards For Babies You Never Thought Of

As parents, we hear enough warnings about possible choking hazards for our babies. Everything we buy comes with a warning about choking hazards - from toys to foods to household items. We’re all pretty well-versed with common choking hazards - everyday objects that could probably get into our babies’ hands, and therefore mouths, and therefore throats. However, there are some substances that you may never have thought of in this context.

Peanut butter:

You may think that it’s absurd that peanut butter could possibly be a choking hazard. It’s not even solid. More often than not, babies tend to swallow it without chewing properly. That’s where the problem lies. Though it isn’t solid, it is a sticky substance which tends to coat the throat. Its pasty nature enables it to mold according to where it’s present, which could lead to it molding enough to block your baby’s airway. It works the same way as gum and other taffy-like substances, including food like caramel.


How is this unusual? If that’s the thought running through your head, let’s clear it up. While buttons lying around the house are an obvious choking hazard, a less obvious one is the buttons on clothes - yours and your babies. We all know that babies are handsy with everything. So it should be pretty clear now, as to how these stitched on buttons can be a problem. There are some baby clothes that have detachable parts as well as small and relatively delicate buttons that may be much easier to break off that the buttons on our clothes. Be vigilant about this hazard and your child’s exposure to it.


This is the most basic sustenance that a baby is given, which is why a lot of people refuse to believe that it is capable of being a choking hazard. This hazardous nature is not different from any other liquid that could cause choking, in that it is a hazard depending on how it is consumed. If your baby hasn’t latched on right or if your baby’s head is not inclined in the right way, breast milk, much like any other liquid, may go down the wrong pipe and lead to coughing and spluttering. Additionally, overproduction of milk can lead to choking due to excessive consumption of the substance. To prevent this, it’s important to be vigilant about how you’re breastfeeding your baby and how much milk is being consumed.


If you think about it, it’s kind of obvious, but the problem is that we don’t think about it. We’re more bothered about the problems that might occur if our little one’s hair goes in her mouth, that we don’t think of the hazards that might be posed by the objects that keep the hair away. It’s easy to forget that babies may remove hair bands because of the fact that we distinguish it from the toys we give our little ones; we often forget that babies do not make the same distinctions as us.


Popcorn, here, is just an example of all the foods that a baby is tempted to grab by the handful and stuff in their mouth. When eating large amounts of tiny foods, many times, kids don’t attempt to chew all of it, which may lead to a relatively large piece of that food getting lodged in the throat, thus blocking the airway. 

Some things to keep in mind when it comes to choking hazards is to avoid trying to get it out by shoving your fingers down your baby’s throat. While it is important to take immediate action, doing this may lead to the object getting dislodged and moving further down the throat, making it harder to get out, and possibly leading to worse blockage. The best thing to do is to immediately take your baby to a clinic, hospital, or doctor who will be better able to remove the blockage. 

Click here for the best in baby advice
What do you think?
Not bad
scroll up icon