The spectrum of depression after pregnancy always keeps switching. This happens as per mild, moderate to severe nature of symptoms. Further, the way these symptoms occur is different in different individuals who have postpartum or postnatal depression.
If you strongly feel that you seem to be disturbed for an approximate of 2-weeks due to five (or more) of the following symptoms then it is possible that you are experiencing postpartum or postnatal depression:
1. It is hard for you to get through the day. This is because there is constant/excessive:
- incapacitating distress, misery, irritability, extreme fatigue/lethargy, anger, agitation guilt, confusion or worthlessness (mood swings)
- anxiety, fear, wanting to run away panic attacks or depression of not being a good mother or left alone with the baby (usually) which affects your ability to take care of your baby or yourself. This includes stressful feelings of nursing after pregnancy.
- loss of pleasure/interest in things you used to enjoy
- crying spells and sadness
- racing/bizarre/scary thoughts, difficulty in concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions. This can also include the experience of impairing delusions or hallucinations.
- sleep disturbances that are erratic i.e. inability to sleep, too much sleep, excessive nightmares or difficulty falling/staying asleep.
- lack of feeling/disinterest or over-concern - for the baby, family and friends
- need to hide your struggles and feelings
2. Appetite disturbances like eating much more or much less than you usually do.
3. Extreme hormonal imbalances like that of oxytocin, dopamine or serotonin.
4. Thoughts of hurting yourself or the baby.
Disclaimer- All the information provided in the blog is for reference purposes only. Please do not consider this as a medical advice. Always consult a doctor if you have any questions related to your own health or the health of your child.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!