Parenting is a tough job, but all parents try their very best to help their child’s all-round development. In the process, the struggles they have and the love they create is precious for the family.
What is Scaffolding?
There is a family sitting on the grass for a picnic outside. The parents are doing their best to provide their children with all the learning they need for growth and development. Like the flowing water of the lake nearby, scaffolding is a teacher-learner flow.
If parents create an interaction with their little one - they are providing an efficient and active atmosphere to learn. In scaffolding, parents do not go in just one direction or dominate with orders of expectations. Instead, they involve their little one in the process of solving or learning.
Scaffolding is a very important part of the parenting equation. It is an active contribution from both sides i.e. children and parents. Below are 4 BEST ways scaffolding is a simple conversation for the best efficiency in your little one’s learning development.
1. Scaffolding has a zone of proximal development.
Say, your little one is finding a school or school related task like a puzzle hard to solve. Adults or skilled peers help make such difficult tasks possible with only manageable difficulty. This is called the zone of proximal development. In this case, parents would point out the different parts that could fit with each other as per shape, size and colour. Then the child is given a little easier path to find the solution.
2. Scaffolding is Different in Different situations or cultures.
Most adult and child interactions are broken down for better understanding. This interaction is seen with babies as well as older children. It is only the way language is used changes. While there is more actions with babies, there is more spoken conversation with older children.
Children always want to either seek assistance from adults or share views with their peers. In the end, questions, prompts and suggestions are important. They provide children with strong thinking to have a shared understanding. This way, it becomes very easy to adjust and communicate as per the level of learning.
3. There So Many Types of Scaffolding!
- Direct: in this type of scaffolding every information is broken into reasonable units. Direct scaffolding is also called guided participation, but that is more helpful in in older children than younger ones.
- Indirect: when the task is mastered to some point, there is gradual and slow decrease of your direct type of scaffolding support. Parents now tend to pitch in only when the children require their help or are seen to be struggling.
- Private speech: this is a type of scaffolding that has an active process of learning and organising. It is done in the child’s own way of scaffolding. Private speed usually comes after the parents give the scaffolding.
- Interdependent vs independent: it is better to use the first type of scaffolding. Children have more self-control, organisation and punctuality in tasks.
4. Scaffolding has more and more benefits.
- Children learn empathy and have mature reasoning by scaffolding.
- Scaffolding improves attention and motivates children to make as many efforts as possible
- There is language development through scaffolding.
- Scaffolding generates communication and curiosity of wanting to know more
- There is a development of an independent learning by scaffolding. Children can then do complex tasks by simplified breaking down. This is easy to learn and challenging enough to use later in more difficult tasks.
So, what do you think of scaffolding ladies? Are there other ways you help your little one?
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!