3 Porridge Recipes to Live by
After purees, porridges are the favorite choice among mothers when introducing their babies to solid foods. There are at least 10 different varieties of porridges, here are 3 recipes that are baby friendly and easily digestible:
1. Rice Cereal Porridge
For first time moms here is little help on how to prepare Homemade Rice Cereal Powder which ideally should be used in the Rice Cereal Porridge.
Organic Brown Rice [recommended] but white rice can also be used- 500gms
Method for preparing Homemade Rice Cereal Powder:
1. Soak rice for 20 minutes so that the natural arsenic in rice is washed away.
2. Rinse the rice and dry it in sun.
3. Dry roast it in a pan and leave it to cool for some time.
4. Grind the roasted rice into a fine powder and store it in an airtight container.
Ingredients for Rice Cereal Porridge:
1/2 Cup Water
2 tablespoons Rice Cereal Powder
Method for preparing Rice Cereal Porridge:
1. In a pan, bring the water to boil and add the Homemade Rice Cereal Powder and stir continuously to avoid forming lumps.
2. Stir till it becomes thick and creamy.
3. Add breastmilk or formula to make it runny and any fruit for sweetness.
2. Broken Wheat (dalia), Oats and Apple Porridge
This one is a fun recipe. A winning combo of two power-packed cereals, broken wheat and oats, and Apple, this porridge is an ideal breakfast for your kids. The creamy texture and fruity flavour of this porridge will make your kids love it plus it’s easy to make.
1/4 cup broken wheat (dalia) , washed and drained
1/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 cup apple cubes (unpeeled)
2 tbsp butter
1 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1. Heat the butter in a pressure cooker, add the broken wheat and saute on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
2. Add the oats and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
3. Add the milk and 1 cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
4. Add the sugar and apples, while the porridge is hot and mix well till the sugar dissolves.
3. Banana and Honey porridge
1 cup instant oats
2 cups of water
1 small banana, mashed
2 tablespoon honey
1. In a saucepan, place instant oats and water, bring to boil and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
2. While the mixture is simmering, mash the banana and stir through at the end before serving.
3. Place some banana slices on top and drizzle the honey on top of it.