Call it a royal fruit, call it a jewel-fruit or call it a divine fruit, this delicious and powerful pomegranate fruit is one of the healthiest fruit that is ever known to mankind. Drink it in the form of juice or eat it raw, eat it as whole or mixed with any salad or as the topping of a dessert; in whatever form it is consumed, it would bring health in all its means and ways. The current read tries to highlight such 20 health benefits of pomegranate beginning from heart health to skin and hair care.
Table Of Content:
What Is Pomegranate?
Pomegranate or anar fruit or “punic apple” as the Romans call it; is a red fruit from a small tree or fruit-bearing shrub. It is classified in the family Lythraceae. Scientifically it is called Punica granatum. Its exact place of origin is not known yet. Theories suggest that this fruit was cultivated first in the regions of Persia and Iran. Later on, it was brought to China.
Pomegranate Nutritional Profile: Nutritional Value And Nutritional Facts
Pomegranate fruit is loaded with antioxidants and packed with numerous vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamin C and many vital B-complex groups of vitamins. It also contains vitamin K and folates. Additionally, it has calcium, potassium and manganese. Anar is rich in carbohydrate and low in fat.
One serving (½ cup) of pomegranate seed contains:
Calories Content Of Anar: The carbohydrates, protein and fat contribute to the total calorie content of any food. For pomegranate calories content comes out to be 72 calories. This is for the half-cup serving of the seed.
20 Health Benefits Of Pomegranate/ Anar:
Whether it's the juice or the seed or the peel, each part of pomegranate has something wonderful and beneficial to offer. Lets us uncover them under different sections of 20 health benefits of pomegranate:
[A] Powerful Pomegranate: Health Benefits Of Pomegranate Seed
The seed pods or the arils which are present inside the whole pomegranate fruit are called as pomegranate seed. They are juicy, red in colour and they cover the edible white seed. The entire seed pod is refereed as pomegranate seed in common terms.
1.Good For Heart: Pomegranate seeds help in blood thinning. They prevent the blood platelets from coagulation and clotting (the bad clots). Therefore they aid in the efficient functioning of the heart.
2. Prevents Arthritis: Eating anar prevents arthritis because they have anti-inflammatory properties. They also fight with the enzyme which causes cartilage damage.
3. Prevents Type II Diabetes: A study has shown that compounds in pomegranate such as punicalagin, ellagic, gallic, oleanolic, ursolic, and uallic acids, acid have antidiabetic actions. Additionally, the sugar present in them has unique compounds. This could be beneficial to control conditions in type 2 diabetes.
4. Reduces Blood Pressure: Punicic acid found in pomegranate reduces triglycerides and cholesterol. It is because of this reason that eating anar helps in lowering the blood pressure.
5. Fights Various Diseases: One of the most important health benefits of eating pomegranate is attributed to its antioxidants. When consumed in adequate quantity they help in avoiding disease Since pomegranate is loaded with antioxidants it helps to keep various diseases at bay.
[B] Pomegranate Benefits For Weight Loss
6. Keeps You Full: Pomegranate is a rich source of dietary fiber and dietary fiber has bulk addition and viscosity impartment property. In simple terms, it means that consuming dietary fibers give a feeling of satiation.
7. Slows Down The Digestion Process: Also, fibers prolong the digestion and absorption in the intestine. Therefore, they help in giving a feeling of fullness and prevent excess eating making this fruit ideal for weight management.
8. Boosts Immunity: Since pomegranate is rich in antioxidants, they boost the immune system. Studies have shown that they can effectively fight and protect the body against virus and bacteria.
9. Promotes Oral Well-being: Pomegranate has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Because of this property, it prevents any infection to invade inside and hence promotes well being of teeth and mouth.
[C] Pomegranate Benefits For Beautiful Skin
10. Anti Ageing Properties: Anar is known for its anti-ageing properties of preventing wrinkles and sagging skin. The fruit has anti-ageing compounds. As a result, these compound help in cellular regeneration and keeping skin look younger.
11. Treats Acne And Pimple: Pomegranate has anti-inflammatory properties. When a face pack consisting of crushed pomegranate seed along with turmeric is applied on the site of acne breakout; it helps in relieving the symptom.
12. Protects Skin From Harmful Rays Of Sun: It's not only the anar seed or its juice that offer benefit. Its peel is also very useful. Peel of anar makes an excellent scrubbing face pack and exfoliant. It provides protection to the skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
[D] Pomegranate Benefits For Hair
13. Improves Blood Circulation: Pomegranate has punicic acid which improves the circulation of blood flow to the scalp. Because of this hair follicles gets strengthened and hairs grow optimally.
[E] Pomegranate Juice Benefits
14. Prevents Prostate Cancer: Research suggests that drinking pomegranate juice may slow the rate at which prostate cancer grows. A lab test on the effect of pomegranate juice on the growth of prostate cancer cell revealed that there are certain compounds in pomegranate juice which exhibit the antitumorigenic effect. They do so by inhibiting the growth of prostate cancer cells.
15. Prevents Alzheimer's Disease: The antioxidants of anar juice is shown to improve memory and cognitive function. Hence it prevents from Alzheimer's disease
16. Prevents Oxidative Stress: Oxidative stress is a state where our body does not have sufficient levels of antioxidants in order to fight the damaging effect of free radicals. Anar juice has a high concentration of antioxidants. Because of this, it prevents the body from oxidative stress.
17. Enhances Memory And Learning In Elderly: A study has shown that regular consumption of pomegranate juice may lead to improved learning and memory
18. Promotes Healthy Kidney: Pomegranate juice reduces the acidity of urine and they also remove the stone from the kidney. They are good for detoxification of the body
19. Prevents Fatty Liver: Though the study was done on rats, the same can be replicated in case of human as well. The study revealed that the regular consumption of anar juice can prevent non-alcoholic fatty liver disease by attenuating oxidative stress and inflammation.
20. Boosts Fertility: Pomegranate juice helps in boosting the fertility of both women and men. In men, it does so by improving the quality and mobility of sperm. In women by increasing blood flow to the uterus.
Side Effects Of Pomegranate Fruit And Pomegranate Juice
You must be thinking how can this amazingly nutritious and healthy fruit have any side effects. Under regular circumstances, eating pomegranate doesn't pose any serious side effects. However, in certain cases, it is advisable to seek doctors suggestion before consuming it.
‣ If someone is on prescription medicine for lowering blood pressure then he should check with his doctor for pomegranate juice or fruit. This is to avoid the risk of hypotension.
‣ Pomegranate juice might interfere with the mobilization of certain medications like statin for cholesterol
‣ People with asthma and some allergic reaction should refrain from consuming this fruit.
‣ Excessive consumption of this fruit might lead to irritation of gastrointestinal tract. This may lead to diarrhoea, abdominal pain or vomiting.
Pomegranate is a wonder fruit in terms of its nutrition profile and the health benefits. It brings benefit in all its form. Whether seed, juice or the peel. When it comes to side effects, severe side effects are less known, however, it is advisable to seek doctor consultation if anyone is under some medical regime or has underlying health conditions like Asthma or allergy.