Cucumbers are a vegetable with magical properties for your body. Regular consumption of this vegetable will give you a hoard of results on the outside and inside. Known for its cooling properties, cucumber is 97% water. Known as “kakdi or kheera” in Hindi, Cucumis Sativus or cucumbers are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Associated with benefits ranging from curing acidity and ulcers, cucumber benefits every organ of the body in some of the other way. Since skin is the largest organ of the human anatomy, it is no exception to the health benefits of cucumber.
The best part about cucumbers is that they can be consumed both internally and externally. You can read about the benefits of drinking cucumber juice, the benefits of eating cucumber whole, how to make a cucumber face pack etc. in our blog below.
Table Of Contents:
Nutritional Value Of Cucumbers
The nutritional value of cucumber is regarded as one of the highest to be found in any other vegetable. Cucumbers are known for their low-calorie count of just 15.54 per 100 grams worth serving. The vegetable has a 97% of water that carries several vitamins such as Vitamins A, B1, B6, B12, C, D and K. Cucumbers are also rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, copper, molybdenum etc. Astonishingly enough, the list isn’t over yet.
Cucumber benefits the consumer by providing them with antioxidants and flavonoids that help to cut out free radicals from their bloodstream.
Top Cucumber Benefits For Glowing Skin:
The benefits of the wonder vegetable can be reaped by making various uses of cucumbers. Below is a list of the benefits of cucumber to your skin and hair; read on to be amazed!
1. Revitalizes Facial Skin: Cucumber juice benefits your skin by direct application as it tightens your face and leaves a youthful glow. The effects can be seen from the first use itself, and continual use of cucumber juice on your face will smooth out the fine wrinkles on your skin.
2. Removes Skin Tan: Getting a sun tan is unavoidable as we go about our daily business. But using a cucumber face pack on your sun exposed skin thrice a week will substantially lighten the tan. Cucumber is rich in vitamin C which helps to reverse the effects of a tan.
3. Reduces Puffiness Of The Eyes: Another handy benefit of cucumbers is that they are miracle workers when it comes to reducing puffy eyes. Water retention can bloat your skin and create bags underneath, giving you a sallow look. By putting two slices of cucumbers over your eyes for 10 minutes as you rest, you will notice that the puffiness reduces bit by bit. The ascorbic and caffeic acids in cucumber lower the water retention rate from your body.
4. Soothes And Heals Sunburn: Getting sunburnt is one of the worst nightmares for your skin's health. Regular sunburns are also associated with skin cancer. Applying a paste of cucumber on the burnt skin will help it heal faster due to the presence of biotin, vitamin A and D in it. Cucumber is gentle enough to draw out the latent heat from your body.
5. Rejuvenates Your Skin: Your skin may appear to get dull and patchy because of harmful pollutants in the air. Travelling for work just adds to the damage caused on your skin. One of the benefits of eating cucumber daily is that it keeps your skin and complexion looking fresh despite the stress your skin goes through.
6. Treats Problematic Open Pores: The antioxidants and vitamin C present in cucumber juice help cleanse the pores of your skin. Cucumbers also cool down your body which lets heat escape through the pores and then reduces their size by its tightening effect.
7. Fights Production Of Cellulite: Cellulite is present in every person’s body, often in areas such as your arms, thighs, and buttocks. By drinking cucumber juice regularly and applying a cucumber mask on the affected area, the phytochemicals responsible for increasing your skin’s elasticity and collagen levels help to smoothen out and banish cellulite.
8. Treats Dark Circles: Dark circles are a product of several factors such as working or studying late nights, using your computers too much, stress, and depression etc. Though cucumber is not a permanent cure to dark circles, applying a slice of this vegetable over your eyes for 15 minutes can show you a certain improvement in reduction of dark circles. The agents like silica and antioxidants play a role in lightening the circles.
[Read more: 10 Home Remedies To Treat Dark Circles]
9. Lightens Blemishes: Blemishes and scars left after a pimple has popped and healed can be cured quickly by using cucumber for your face. The anti-inflammatory property of cucumber benefits your skin by soothing it thoroughly.
10. Reduces Eye Wrinkles: Under-eye wrinkles are another menace given the constant usage of gadgets such as smartphones, laptops and tablets. By squinting into the screens our eyes start developing wrinkles before their time. The water present in cucumber hydrates your skin and helps to smooth wrinkles around your eyes marginally. We advise you to drink cucumber juice regularly to see quicker results.
11. Removing Excess Water: Many people suffer from the problem of water retention, where the kidneys do not function all too well in removing excess water from the body. The health benefits of cucumber include getting rid of excess water in your body that can be seen through swollen feet, ankles and facial skin.
12. Removes Under Eye Bags: Fatigue and tiredness can take a toll on your eyes and give you very unflattering bags underneath them. Applying cucumber juice with a cotton swab under your eyes will tone the skin and remove under eye bags. This will give you a fresher face and younger looking features.
13. Reduces Greying Hair: Cucumbers benefits for skin are several, but the vegetable also helps you to keep your hair and nails healthy. You can curb hairfall problems by eating cucumber daily or by applying the paste of a cucumber to your scalp and roots. The silicon, sulphur, sodium, phosphorus, and calcium in cucumbers help to stop hair fall and boost new growth, hence covering balding spots.
14. Curbs Itchiness And Flaking Skin: Dermatological problems such as dry, itchy and flaking skin are faces by a lot many people. This can be taken care of by adding a healthy amount of cucumbers to your diet and using cucumber juice on the affected skin. Cucumbers have great moisturising and anti-inflammatory properties that will nourish and soothe your skin.
15. Natural Bleach To Brighten Your Skin: Cucumbers contains vitamin C which acts as a natural bleach for your skin. Using a cucumber face pack weekly will keep your complexion clear, skin smooth and dark spots at bay.
[Read more: 25 Health Benefits Of Cucumber]
Side Effects Of Cucumbers:
There are a few side-effects of cucumbers that have been observed in people. These side effects usually revolve around over-eating cucumbers and not the following moderation. Symptoms of side effects include sinusitis, colds, skin allergies, heart and renal problems. If you show any symptoms of discomfort after consuming cucumbers, please refrain from eating it again till you consult your physician.
Cucumbers are great considering the array of health benefits they provide. Using cucumbers for your face is also beneficial in the long term for your skin’s health. But like everything nice, the consumption and use of this vegetable should be moderate. To reap the best benefits of cucumbers, add a healthy diet and exercise plan for your lifestyle and watch yourself glow!
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!