Last nine months you were watching out everything you eat because you were concerned about growth and development of the baby. Now, being indulged in breastfeeding, do you still need to watch out the food you eat? Are there foods breastfeeding moms should avoid? The answer is Yes! Because strongly flavoured food changes the taste of your milk and your baby loves different flavours of milk. But there are foods which are best if not included in the breastfeeding diet. Here is everything you need to know about the foods to avoid during breastfeeding.
Table Of Contents:
A Few Things To Keep In Mind
Unlike pregnancy, during the breastfeeding period, you don’t have the liberty to indulge yourself in varieties of food to satisfy your cravings. But before dwelling deep into that list of what not to eat when breastfeeding, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
While breastfeeding or lactating, ensure you have regular meals. Because your body needs more than usual nutrients to maintain yours and baby’s health.
There is no food which needs to be universally avoided by all the mothers. Because each child is different and so is their response to food.
In this article, foods breastfeeding moms should avoid doesn’t mean the foods should be totally avoided. It means the consumption of such foods should be limited.
Foods To Avoid During Breastfeeding
Aforesaid, pregnancy is a period to be cognizant and so is breastfeeding. You need to be mindful of what to eat and what not to during breastfeeding. Considering the harm the certain foods could pose to your baby, in this article we are particularly focusing on what foods are best when avoided.
1. Garlic: Garlic is known to make everything better but is your baby’s palate matured enough to appreciate this distinctly flavoured spice? Not yet. Your baby might smirk even at the aroma of strongly flavoured milk. Although some babies like the flavour, garlic has taken place in the list of foods to avoid during breastfeeding.
[Read more: Garlic For Breastfeeding Moms]
2. Caffeine: anything that contains caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks, OTC medications) is definitely foods to avoid while breastfeeding and during pregnancy. Because, during breastfeeding, the caffeine content might get into your breastmilk. And since your baby can’t process caffeine content as fast as you, it could stay in your child’s body and lower the iron level. This certainly affects the haemoglobin level in the blood.
3. Chocolate: Who doesn’t love chocolates? Those are the best break time companion. But it is not appropriate to include chocolates in your breastfeeding diet. Why? Because it is a source of caffeine and also rich in a substance called theobromine which offers the same effect as caffeine. It might have a laxative effect and make your little munchkin cranky and fussy along with sleep issues.
4. High-mercury Fish: You can eat fish. But there are a certain type of foods which falls into the category of foods breastfeeding moms should avoid (such as swordfish, shark, king mackerel, tilefish, etc.) Those fish contains a high amount of mercury and it could pose danger in the neurological development of your baby.
5. Broccoli: Broccoli is definitely one of the foods to avoid during the breastfeeding phase due to its nature. This green vegetable could create gas problems in your little baby and make him fussy. However, there are no studies that support these claims.
6. Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits are the best sources of Vitamin C. But they also contain acidic components. Since your little one’s tummies get irritated with these components, these are certainly in the group of foods for breastfeeding moms to avoid. These fruits could also cause diaper rash, fussiness, etc. The best alternative to vitamin C rich fruits is papaya, pineapple, strawberries and mango.
7. Wheat: What not to eat while breastfeeding is a common question most of the moms ask us. Although wheat is one among them, it is a dark horse. Gluten intolerance caused by wheat could cause bloody stools, sensitive tummy and fussiness. How to diagnose this intolerance? By eliminating it from your breastfeeding diet. Take off all the suspects from your breastfeeding diet and reintroduce one by one and you could certainly pinpoint the wheat as a food for breastfeeding mothers should avoid.
8. Alcohol: What foods to avoid while breastfeeding? The top answer is alcohol. It is a no-brainer. Alcohol has the ability to get into your breast milk and could affect your baby’s neurological development. Although it is good to totally restrict it, it does no harm if you would like to have a drink or two. The alcohol content in the breast milk would stay until you feel completely sober.
9. Dairy: Whether the dairy products fall into the foods to avoid while breastfeeding or should be included in the breastfeeding diet - it is the question need to be answered yet. But according to the experienced of the nursing mothers, the baby could be intolerant to cow’s milk. In case you consume dairy products, your baby might get the allergens. This could cause various symptoms such as vomiting, colic, eczema, skin issues and sleep issues.
10. Soy: Usually the babies who have an intolerance to dairy products, will have an intolerance to soy. It might cause the same symptoms as dairy product intolerance. So, the next time you question yourself, what foods to avoid while breastfeeding, Soy is definitely one among them.
11. Peanut: In love with creamy peanut butter or just plain peanuts? Maybe it is a period you should withhold consuming it. Because the allergy-causing proteins from peanut could pass into the breastmilk and irritate the baby. The intolerance for peanut could cause rashes, wheezing or hives.
12. Parsley And Peppermint: Parsley and peppermint are the herbs that are king and queen of the foods to avoid when breastfeeding. Consuming these herbs in large amount could reduce the amount of breast milk. Peppermint tea is best for the mothers who want to stop milk production because her their child is weaning.
13. Spicy Foods: The role of spicy foods in the health of baby varies from one baby to another. Some can get irritated and other have no effect. Generally, spicy foods create fussiness in the baby.
14. Corn: The list of what not to eat during breastfeeding is pretty large and corn is one among them. It could trigger allergic reactions in babies and toddlers. The symptoms of the corn allergy are discomfort and rashes. If you ever observe, such symptoms in your baby, it is best to stop eating corn immediately.
15. Eggs: Although eggs are healthy and packed with proteins, it could pose allergy to your little one, especially if you have a family history of having food allergies. The allergy will be mostly in the form of sensitivity to egg whites.
Tips For Moms Regarding Foods To Avoid During Breastfeeding
When you decide to avoid the foods that are given in the above list, there are a few tips that need to be followed universally by all mothers and without a blink of an eye.
‣ Now, we are aware of what not to eat when breastfeeding, if you decide to eliminate these foods from your breastfeeding diet, consult your doctor. So that there is no nutritional imbalance.
‣ The foods provided in the above foods for breastfeeding moms to avoid could display symptoms or could cause a change in behaviour in your baby. So, keep a close watch on him.
‣ If your baby is suffering from symptoms like diarrhoea, rashes, congestion particularly after nursing, maybe it is time to avoid certain foods. But consult your doctor before taking a decision about it.
‣ If some food is affecting your baby, ensure to avoid for a week and observe if that food is one among the foods for breastfeeding moms to avoid.
‣ What food to avoid while breastfeeding? Food with preservatives and additive are undoubtedly on the list.
The list of food for breastfeeding mothers to avoid is kind of exhaustive. But every baby is different. The food one baby is allergic too might not be the food another baby is allergic to. Your baby might be allergic to all the above foods or none of them. So, the best way is to keep a close eye on your baby’s reactions to specific food.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!