It’s that time in your marriage when both of you are planning a family. When you’re about to start a family for the first time, the first question that pops in your head is - am I fertile? Growing up we learn a lot about fertility, but how much of that is true?
Now that you’re ready to start a family it’s time to clarify a few misconceptions and learn all that you can about treating infertility.
Infertility leads to miscarriages, birth of a blue baby, or the inability to even conceive.
Let’s start off by learning a few things no one tells you about fertility:
1. Fertility is not related to being healthy. 1 in 10 healthy couples face fertility problems. Unfortunately, the main factor that affects fertility is age. For women, mid 20’s is the best time to conceive; by the age of 27, this starts to decline.
2. 12% of all infertility cases are linked to weight issues. If your BMI is between 19 and 25 then you’re fit enough to conceive. To find out your BMI, divide your weight in kilograms by your height in meters; then divide the answer by your height again!
3. There is no definite answer about which sexual position will get you pregnant effectively. Sperms start swimming immediately after ejaculation, so regardless of the position, you have got to aim for the deepest penetration. There may be little advantage in lying around after intercourse.
4. The biggest myth is that men do not have a ticking biological clock. It has been found out after the age of 35 men find it hard to impregnate a woman. So if you’re struggling to conceive, the paternal age too should be considered.
Now that we understand fertility a little better, let’s move on to a few ways to boost your fertility:
5. Eating well is the key to improving your fertility rate. Ask your doctor if you should start taking vitamin supplements; also make sure to consume food that is rich in protein, iron, zinc, and vitamin C and D.
6. While trying to conceive, you may want to watch your caffeine intake and definitely watch your alcohol consumption. Alcohol messes around with your estrogen levels which in turn affects the implantation of the egg.
7. When it comes to fruits and vegetables, ensure you consume organic ones as much as possible. It has been proved that the pesticides on them lowers sperm count and quality. The pesticides may also affect female fertility.
8. Use sperm-friendly lubricants like — pre-seed, canola, peanut, vegetable, baby, or mineral oil. Saliva and olive oil should be avoided as they’re said to have hampered with the process.
9. It is not just women who have to take care of their health, men too need to watch their diets and drinking or smoking habits. Such habits can lower sperm production.
If none of the above works for you, never blame yourself or wallow in self-pity. It is the day and age of technology. Listed here are a few ways to help your situation:
10. In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): In this process, your eggs are extracted and fertilized with a sperm in a lab. Once the embryos develop, 1 or 2 are planted in your uterus and the rest are stored.
11. Fertility Drugs: These are given to you in the form of injections or pills. The drug releases hormones that boost the egg production and makes the uterus more receptive towards embryo implantation.
12. Artificial Insemination: This is the most common method. Washed sperm is inserted directly into your uterus, the doctors also usually suggest taking fertility drugs for safety.
13. Donor Eggs: This again is a very common method. Eggs are taken from young women and fertilized with your partner’s sperm. The embryos then formed are placed in your uterus.
Infertility is a common problem in today’s generation mostly because of the lifestyle. An early pregnancy along with these tips and tricks will sort any problems that may arise.
We hope you enjoyed reading our article. Thank you for your continued love, support and trust in Tinystep. If you are new here, welcome to Tinystep!
Recently, we launched a baby-safe, natural and toxin-free floor cleaner. Recommended by moms and doctors all over India, this floor-cleaner liquid gets rid of germs and stains without adding harmful toxins to the floor. Click here to buy it and let us know if you liked it.
Stay tuned for our future product launches - we plan to launch a range of homecare products that will keep your little explorer healthy, safe and happy!