Dry and dull skin is a problem that keeps many women awake at night. Be it due to your skin type or environmental factors, dry skin can affect your appearance as well as your skin health. Are you also searching for efficient home remedies for dry skin that are fairly easy to adopt? Here we have discussed not just the home remedies but also various causes and face packs for dry skin you can include in your skincare routine.
Dry skin is often accompanied by itchiness and irritated flaky or cracked skin. Your skin becomes dry if the oil glands present in the hypodermis layer of your skin cannot produce enough oil to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized. If left untreated, the dryness of your skin can result in cracks and wrinkles which eventually will make you look more aged than you are. So, it is very important for you to pamper your skin a little bit and treat the dryness as soon as possible. If you want to know how to get rid of dry skin then the easiest way is to try home remedies for dry skin.
Table Of Contents
Important Causes Of Dry Skin
Some people get dry skin only during winters, and for others, it is a permanent condition of the skin. Dry skin can feel and look rough accompanied by dry patches on face. Itchy skin can also be a problem for those who have dry skin. The skin can be red and cracky. Here are some dry skin causes that will help you root out the problem.
‣ Weather: It is the most obvious cause of dry skin. Your skin will be the driest during winters. Due to cold temperature and low humidity, the skin can lose its moisture. You can specifically use moisturizer for dry skin regularly if the weather is the culprit.
‣ Heat: If your environment is always hot, due to centralized heaters, furnaces, or fireplaces; the low level of humidity can cause your skin to dry.
‣Hot Baths And Showers: Everyone loves hot showers. They can relax you at the end of a long day but can be dangerous for your skin. When your skin is exposed to hot water, it loses its natural oils and the skin barrier is disrupted. Therefore, you should keep your showers shorter than 10 minutes. Swimming frequently at heavily chlorinated pools can also be a dry skin cause.
‣ Use Of Harsh Soaps: We often, unknowingly, use soaps, shampoos or detergent that can remove natural oils and moisture from our bodies. Many soap bars contain chemicals and detergents that can strip your skin of moisture. Dry skin care requires you to choose your products intelligently. So, choose a soap and shampoo that has a slightly acidic pH and does not harm your skin.
‣ Exfoliating Too Much: Exfoliating is very important for dry skin as it removes dead cells but even the exfoliating kit suggests to not use it more than twice a week. Removing dead cells leads to a glow in the skin but if you don’t give enough time between two sessions, you might remove healthy cells from your skin instead of the dead ones. It can also cause redness and itchy skin.
‣ Lack Of Water: This is a very important one. It is obvious that hydration will keep your skin healthy. You should drink at least 2-3 litres of water everyday. Dehydration can cause your skin to look dry and tired. Drinking enough water is the holy grail of amazing skin so, make it a habit to drink water at fixed intervals of time.
Home Remedies For Dry Skin
There are various home remedies for dry skin that will help you bring that glow back. Using a moisturizer for dry skin is a very important aspect of dry skin care. There are many moisturizers that you can make at home. So, here are some dry skin tips that will help you figure out how to get rid of dry skin and make it healthy.
1. Coconut Oil: This oil does wonders for dry skin. Coconut nut oil is as safe and as functional as petroleum jelly. The emollient characteristics help fill the spaces between the cells of your skin. The saturated fatty acids present in coconut oil can hydrate your skin and smoothen its surface. It is one of the best moisturizers for a dry face. It can also do wonders for the itchy skin. The advantage of coconut oil is that you can apply it even on sensitive areas like under your eyes or around your mouth.
[Read more: 13 Health Benefits Of Coconut]
2. Oatmeal Bath: Oatmeal is an ingredient that can be used to treat irritated and itchy skin. Colloidal oatmeal possesses antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which calm your itchy skin. It also cleanses and moisturizes your dry skin. You can add oatmeal to your bath or apply creams that contain oatmeal. There are a wide variety of products for skin that contain oatmeal which you can buy.
3. Milk: A diet that has milk, can improve your skin condition. If you ask yourself what are the home remedies for itchy skin then you just need to look in your refrigerator. Milk has lactic acid which can soothe your skin, exfoliate dead skin cells and increase the skin’s ability to trap moisture. It is the best moisturizer for dry face. Dousing yourself in milk can also lighten your skin tone.
4. Honey: The bee’s gift of honey is one of the best moisturizers for a dry face. People often complain about dry patches on face which can easily be treated by honey as it has antioxidant, antimicrobial, and humectant properties. Dry skin care can be done by using honey to retain moisture and give the skin a glow.
5. Olive Oil: This miracle ingredient is being used as part of many home remedies for dry skin from ages. You can use olive oil before applying moisturizer to lock the moisture. It is full of antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that can help relieve you of dry skin. Make sure you moisturize right after you take a bath as it will keep your skin moisturized for a longer time.
6. Aloe Vera Gel: According to recent studies, aloe vera can be used to relieve dryness of the skin. You can apply aloe vera gel on the affected area and leave it overnight. Aloe vera is also one of the home remedies for itchy skin.
[Read more: Aloe Vera For Skin: Benefits, Side Effects and Uses]
7. Glycerine: Glycerine is a humectant, i.e, it attracts moisture, hence making your dry skin well moisturized. Using glycerine in your skin care routine can also treat dry patches on face. Glycerine is widely used in winters as a home remedy for dry skin as well as cracked lips and heels.
8. Vitamin E Oil: Vitamin E is a nutrient that helps restore moisture in the skin, doing wonders for the damaged and dry skin. Vitamin E oil is a well-known ingredient of many home remedies for dry skin. You can mix vitamin E oil with your everyday cream or lotion and see how vitamin E oil works on your dry skin.
9. Mustard Oil: Mustard oil is known for anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties. Applying mustard oil on the skin can prevent itching and dryness and also used for whitening skin.
10. Avocado: Avocado is known for soothing dry skin and also helps nourish, moisturize and soften skin. Highly rich in monounsaturated fats as well as essential vitamins and minerals, this fruit can be applied as a face pack for dry skin.
11. Yogurt: Yogurt has lactic acid which dissolves dead skin and tightens pores. It is one of the cheapest home remedies for dry skin as it retains the moisture in your skin and prevents it from becoming dry.
[Read more: 9 Uses of Curd In Your Skin And Hair Care Routine]
12. Gram Flour (Besan): One of the least known ingredients used in many home remedies for dry skin is besan or gram flour. It helps in clearing out dirt and impurities from your sensitive skin without hurting or drying it out. It works best when mixed with moisturizing ingredients such as honey, milk or milk cream in a face pack for dry skin. It can also be used as a mild scrub to remove the dead skin from your face.
Top 5 Face Packs For Dry Skin:
One of the easiest home remedies for dry skin on face is making face packs. Here are 5 simple face masks that can help treat your dry skin.
‣ You can use mashed banana and honey as a face pack for dry skin. Add olive oil for more effect. Apply the thick paste on your skin, leave it for a while and then wash away.
‣ Use soaked, ground almonds with lemon, gram flour and cold milk to make a paste and use it as a homemade face pack for dry skin.
‣ Cold yogurt, lemon juice and honey can be mixed and applied to dry skin to improve its condition.
‣ Mash peeled cucumber, mix it with a little sugar and refrigerate it. Apply for 10 minutes and then wash it with cold water.
‣ Mix one tablespoon watermelon juice and one tablespoon honey and apply it on your face. Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
These were some home remedies for dry skin that can help you maintain your skin problems. If you follow these dry skin tips, it will make your skin healthy and glowing and maintain it for a long time.